camping with a baby question

we are going camping next month with our 3 girls, 4 years, 3 years and 2 months. Any suggestions on how to make sure the 2 month old does ok, I have never camped with a baby before. W are camping at the beach and I know about sun safety and all that I just want to know more about the camping part. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I loved camping with my babies . I always used airmattresses and you can get them pretty cheap at walmart. Alot better for sleeping. Inside battery lantern and keep the windows open for oxygen, are you using a tent or camper?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We are going to use a tent, and we have camped before with the older girls last year but this is the first time with such a small baby
    Anonymous

• Keeping warm, fed, dry, out of the sun.
    One of the things to remember is that there are predators out there still. Children are prey for cougars and bears. Keep your children close and do not allow them to wander. The two month old will be the least of your worries. Pack more clothes then you think, think layers for the kids and pack more diapers then you think. Sand may be an issue so consider a bandanna or covering for babys eyes and nose. Sand that just bugs you can rub a baby raw. It is better to not let a baby get sandy. Eyes need to be protected from sun so all of you should have sunglasses.
    Sunscreen is good, but get the kind that is waterproof and reapply reapply reapply. Many people don't make thier kids shower or bathe during camping but that is not a good idea.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Showering or bathing is important so that you can check them for rashes (poisen oak, ivy) and to wash off sunscreen and bug spray and check for ticks.
    I am not telling you this to scare you, I encourage you to get out and camp with your kids and enjoy! I always used a baby bed for my infants though. (Moses bed kind of thing.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hi,
    Babies are the Best campers! We went camping with our first child when he was 2 months. He had a fabulous time. My husband and the dog had a fabulous time. I wasted my time by being a nervous wreck about the baby's comfort. Our son was perfectly fine the entire time. We placed him in a Baby Bjorn during our hikes. He looked around and fell asleep. I breast fed him on the sand by a river. Formula would be easy to do. He didn't cry any more than at home and while camping you can do all the things you do at home to stop the crying. Don't worry about disturbing other campers. Changing diapers was done on a blanket while watching out for ticks and poison ivy just like you would for yourself. Sleeping was Wonderful!!! We use a tent and sleep on the ground in a sleeping bag. He slept his first 12 hours that night! So enjoy yourself. The more you can relax, the more your family will have fun together. ( :
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have a moses basket I was thinking of taking with me so she would have her own space, and I have baby sunglasses and hats for her. We are going to camp where there are restrooms with showers near by, so that shouldn't be a problem. Any other advice?
    Anonymous

• The biggest piece of advice I can give is be prepared and don't worry. Make memories. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009