Extented Breastfeeding

I plan on breastfeeding my son past the age of one, well since it is getting closer to his first b-day I have began to wonder how it works like do I still have to give him cows milk if he is still breastfeeding?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

My daughter (almost 14 years old) has never had a glass of milk. I worked full time, outside the home, and breastfed for 23 months (child-led weaning).

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No. There's no reason to give him cows milk if you don't want to.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Not really any reason nutritionally to if you are giving him breast milk on a regular basis. You may want to offer it every now and then just so that he can get used to the flavor but if he is generally accepting to new flavors then I don't guess there is any rush to do that either...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Absolutely not. My first didn't get any cow's milk until he weaned during my pregnancy and was 18 months old. My second did get cow's milk because I work full time while DH stays at home and she wanted milk like her big brother. BTW kudos on full term nursing. My 25 month old is still going strong and I feel guilty every day that my first weaned at 18 months while I was pregnant!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Technically, you never HAVE to give your kid cows milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Why on earth would you want to continue breastfeeding?
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 by: Anonymous Why on earth would you want to continue breastfeeding?

Because just like rkoloms said it is recommended by the World Health Organization, and also its whats best for my child, it has given us both a bond that I could not of had any other way, if I have to give more of myself for longer to help ensure that my child will have the healthiest life he can then I will

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You do not have to give him cows milk. You certainly can if you want to. It's not necessary though.

My 22 month old get some milk daily along with nursing. I didn't give it to her much until the past about 2-3 months though. She slowed down on nursing and was drinking too much Juice, so I started cutting down her juice and watering it down and I also gave her some milk. It works for us.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2009