People who do not believe in hell...Serious question?

If somebody tells you are going to hell, but you don't believe in hell why does it bother you?
If you don't believe in it how can you take is seriously?

It is like being told you will be eaten by zombies or something as ridiculous.

So why do you care? This is not a facetious question. I don't believe in hell, and I don't know why I get so worked up about it... I know I shouldn't, yet somehow I do.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hell is a myhtical place created to frighten people. When I was young the movie The Exorcist came out. I never saw it but the music alone scared the Hell out of me. I thought I was possessed by the devil when I started having PMS. Let the demons go sweetie, and they shall be gone.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• confusedgood question. I think its just like if someone called you retarted and you knew you werent it would still hurt your feelings. (NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE AT ALL JUST MAKING AN EXAMPLE!!!)

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Maybe its because of the intent of the person saying that you are hell bound. And its usually because the person does not understand the POV of the person who is not a christian. I think people get upset because they believe the lies that are spread about others beliefs.
    Anonymous

• If someone tells me they hope I will get eaten by zombies I will be equally offended. Why would they wish me harm?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree, I just saw a post where an athiest was complaining that christians keep theiil them they are going to hell. I thought, well that does piss me off too, and then I started thinking that I don't believe in hell either and I get irritated when people tell me I am going to hell. And I am wondering why I feel that way.
    I know I am not the only one, because somebody else was complaining about the same thing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's the same as me walking up to you and saying I hope you die in a fire. Not about the place, but the sentiment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• telling...stupid fast typing fingers...they will be going to hell!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Besides people fall back on that to communicate "you are wrong & too stupid to know it so you will suffer as a result". That is mean & rude.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I think its the rude intent. Of course you will have some that use the excuse of they care, yea right. What they don't realize is we have made a sound decision on our path. I think its the snarkiness behind the words is what is rude.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do not give credit to their need to invoke fear in you. when you acknowledge the hell which they describe, you feed into their fantasy, their myth of what reality is. they control your anger to invoke their demons. Why allow that? Have compassion for people who attempt to control reality with  hell. They do not control what is  yours.For they know not...

writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009