• In the Spotlight:

headache's

i suffer from migraines , for the past 11 years, the problem now is that i cant afford the medication to take every day to help prevent them, even with insurance it runs about $150 a month, way out of budget! since i had my 2nd son a year ago i ahve been getting them more frequently, they are not always as sever as they once were but still bad enough that i spend most of the day laying on the couch.. is there anything OTC, or home remedies that have worked for others? tylenol, excedrine, those dont work very well anymore

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• Have you tried Excedrin Tension Headache with a large Mt. Dew. It works for me every
    time and nothing else does. It might be worth a try.
    Photobucket
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Oh I feel for you for both reason, I have migraines really bad as well . And if I didn't have the insurances paying for them I too wouldn't beable to afford them. My only advise is trying to catch them before they get full blown. I have some home remedie books that has some sugestions in them ( thou I hadn't tried them) I look them up for if you would like to try some ? Just give me time to get them out. I'll email them to ya
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 3:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You should also start keeping a food journal to see if anything you are eating could be causing them. Just start writing down everything you eat and when you are getting headaches, to see if there is a correlation.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I will second the recommendation of a food diary. I started getting migraines at 12, and after several years of neurologists and medications, I discovered the link between foods and migraines. Common migraine trigger foods are: chocolate,nuts, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, cheese, sour cream, nitrates, vinegar, food dyes, chemical preservatives, etc..

Or you can try eating a macrobiotic diet for a few weeks and see if that helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• its not a link between food, ive kept food journals, cut out all triggers, and still got them regularly.
    and ive lived on excedrine tenssion headache or mirgaine, they might help for 1 or 2 but after a few days i cant take them any more, plus they make my BP skyrocket, which makes me hot and queasy.
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• What med were you taking? I have chronic headaches also and am on Topamax. It is really pricey but the generic version came out about 2 months ago that runs me about $18 verses the $90 for the brand name. (i'm only on 50mg) This has been a lifesaver for me, as no OTC med would even come close to touching my headaches. Maybe ask your dr.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i have migrains to i have to take if i cant afford the prescription meds then i use excedrin extra strenght but when i have insurence i take relifin 500 or motrin 800 i believe motrin 800 is on walmart list for 4 dollars or u can try kmart.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I've also suffered from migraines most of my life. Not always, but I have noticed sometimes if I drink caffeine when I feel one starting it will stop it from becoming a full blown migraine and I end up with just a headache. After functioning most of my childhood with migraines that sent me to the hospital I prefer "just a headache" any day. OTC meds don't help mine either, if I get a full blown migraine I have to lay in a completely dark room with an ice pack on my face and sleep or I vomit consistently till the migraine is gone. I once was sick vomiting in the hospital for 12 straight hours because the room was to bright, they had to eventually order me a special dark mask. Anyways, my point is try the caffeine route if not already done, it may do wonders for you like it did me.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i do drink a coke when i feel one coming on, but the problem latley is ive been having them when i dwake up. i will wake up with a full blown migraine, cant eat, or drink causer im ouking every 15 mins, its also amde worse by the fact that i ahve 2 small children and cant jsut run to a dark room...

i dont remember the name of the med,, ive been on topamax and midran and a few others in the past.. this was a new drug that they jsut started offering to civilans< was a military drug>
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Check with Walmart or Walgreen, you can get generics for $4 a month and some brand names at a discount. Also, call the manufacturer of your meds and see if they offer prescription help. My brother gets his reflux meds for free from the manufacturer because he has no insurance.

I take 4 Advil with caffiene at the onset of a migraine and take 4 every 6 hours until the headache is gone. My doc told me to do this because it is cheaper than prescription meds and works just as well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009