how much (per feeding) should my three week old be eating by now

I just wondering how much he should be eating per feeding hes been eating about 2-4 fluid oz. per feeding depending on if he is tired or not, but i've heard from a couple other moms that he should be sleeping more by now, and hes still waking up every 2-3 hours for feedings so just curious to whether or not i should be feeding him more

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A newborn should eat every every 2-3 hours, and waking up at night is normal. Every babies tummy is different, but I think you are doing just fine. Formula is different than BM so I couldn't tell you an amount for sure, but at 1 months their tummy isn't more than about 5 oz in size. Just keep feeding your baby when hes hungry thats part of having a newborn, and don't let anyone tell you giving cereal will make him sleep longer, its not true and it will fill his tummy with something not as nutricious as BM or Formula.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• you are right on. my son is 7 weeks and still wakes every 3 hours or less to feed
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• My doc said to add one to the number of months the baby is and that is the amount in ounces he or she should drink at each feeding if possible....So at two months, he or she needs three ounces..How cool is that. It worked for me. Feed the babe whener he or she is hungry...Usually every 2-3 hours if not more if nursing.... All babes are different. My kids started sleeping through the night around 7 weeks of age, but you may have to wait a lot longer. Good luck
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 8:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• I would say you're right on track. My daughter ate every few hours for months, and she only took 1 and a half to 3 ounces each feeding. I wouldn't worry about how much the baby is eating in a sitting or how long they are sleeping as long as there is a weight gain. Every baby is different.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Hear hear, kabbot01!
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 8:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• ty guys, atleast i know im still right on track and doing a good job lol
    MrsDibble

Answer by MrsDibble at 8:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• that's sounds about right to me... my 5 week old eats about every two hours during the day and about every 4 at night.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• That's normal. My baby woke up about every 2-3 hours for a feeding in the night when he was 3 weeks. He's almost 11 weeks and is now just only waking up once a night for a feeding.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2008