Renting an apartment & SO has criminal background?!

My SO has a criminal background. It's nothing serious like robbery or murder, just a few misdemeanor charges like criminal mischief. We want to rent an apt & I know that they do background checks. Will his charges count against us being able to rent or do they do those checks just to make sure the person isn't a felon?

Also regarding credit checks, what are they looking for? I have some debt from students loans, $2ooo credit card, and maybe one or two other things. He's got medical bills & a store charge card. Will this count against us or are they looking for more serious debts?

He pawned his car title & they're currently seeking payment or the vehicle. If he gets a new residency, will that show up on some "database" and they'll find out where he is? The car broke down before he could pay them back & he's trying to figure out what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you in a place where you can stay there while he cleans some stuff up? First I would figure out how much you owe for the car and pay it. I would work on getting almost the full amount before going to the debtor and waking that monster up. because when they run the credit check they will put the address you give them and when someone goes to check your credit they will see the updated info and when it was confirmed and start their collection proceedings. Even though the car is gone the debt is still valid so he wants to clean that up.

Then once his credit is paid down and off it won't be as bad. You may need a bigger deposit.

I think the criminal back ground is mainly for drugs, robbery, rape etc. and probably any abuse.
    I am not a 100% sure.
    Good luck
    Anonymous

• He sounds like a wiener...err.. winner.
    Anonymous

• You weren't very helpful! I was asking a serious question. Why does everyone on here have to be so judgmental? Everyone has skeletons & makes mistakes, so don't act like you're so perfect!
    Anonymous

• I am sorry, but any skeletons I have have nothing to do with breaking the law.
    I have made mistakes sure, but none that were serious to be convicted of a crime.
    Anonymous

• It depends on where you go. Some places just wanna make sure he doesn't have any sexual assault, drug or robery charges. Usually felonies. Midemeanors I don't think they really care about unless it involves drugs or something like that.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you're not going to be helpful then move along. I didn't post this in hopes that someone would come on here & start crap. Not everyone is perfect & he's made mistakes, but these were in the past before we were together or had our child. And those actions may effect him now. This is why I am asking! Or maybe I should to ask elsewhere where there are knowledgeable, helpful people!

There are some people on CM that have gone through this, so I am not the only one! I like personal opinions & examples of experiences from other people on CM, but not opinions that are total irrelevant & judgmental!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• What kind of background check are they doing? Credit and criminal or both? I would expect that the amount of debt you have is not bad, unless you have late payments. I'm sorry, I don't know about how having a criminal history could affect getting a rental. Good luck.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am a landlord and to be honest it is very unlikely I would rent to you. I could overcome renting to someone with misdemeanors or someone with possibly not great credit. I would not risk my property with someone who has no part of their life together. I am not being snippy or rude just being honest. He does not sound all that great to me and not someone I would want to lease to.
    Anonymous

• To be honest I won't be much help. I have rented many places as has my DH and never had a background or credit check for any of them. My DH has 2 felonies and a string of little charges. But like I said we never had to do a check like that for rental. I would assume however that if they are more than a few years old and not felonies they aren't gonna hurt to much. Also, as for the car... hmm, I don't know. If it broke down, let them have it! THey can fix it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009