Hi, What are some fun, silly, creative activities I can do with a 2 year old boy and 3 month old girl to enjoy this summer?

I'm a fairly new SAHM with a two year old boy and 3 month old girl. My husband works long hours so I'm on my own with the kids on week days. What can the kids and I do together during the day besides go on walks and visit the park? The more creative and silly and active, the better. Thank you!

yalomsita

Asked by yalomsita at 3:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I always like making things up for play time with my girls when they was little .. kinda took a part of the day and made it like a fairly tale.They could be anybody or anythings .. make the living room up to be a hide out with sheets and things. You can do this playing like your camping out or on safari. ( play a wild kingdom tape while you play or have a book showing them the animals)
    Plus I let them help with fixing foods ( kids really enjoy getting to do hands on things like this .. could be things as simple as having them put peanut butter on apples or letting them put their own cheese sandwishes together. Just go with what ever you feel would be fun.. best of luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 3:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We did not have a pool when ds was little so we filled big storage containers with water and put them near the hose and they woud sit in them and water play, they were fun. now we have a big pool and ds is 12 and took the container in the pool and we were laughing at pictures of him stuffed in the container filled with water when he was little.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• bubble paint are fun! A little food coloring in your bubble mix. blow as normal on to paper. Side walk chalk. pudding finger pain. a little food coloring in some vanilla pudding is great for painting...and then licking off your fingers! Eatable play dough= 1 c. powdered milk
    1 c. peanut butter Honey = Mix together the powdered milk and peanut butter. Add honey for desired consistency. Make a pinata= blow up a balloon and cover it with strips of paper saturated in liquid starch leave a hole in the top allow to dry over night pop the balloon and fill cover the hole with more strips of paper, pait it if you want to allow that to dry and go to town on it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My 2 year old loves anything w/ water. I gave him a couple of plastic containers and he poured water back and forth for hours. He also experimented with various objects to see which would float. Also, a baby pool, sprinkler, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, ride on toys, looking for rocks, sticks, dirt, and bugs (all boy).
    On rainy days, we make play dough, the edible kind, the cooked kind, non-cooked. He doesn't care, he just likes to roll, pinch, use the small cookie cutters, make animals out of it (I make a killer snake and frog lol). This is great practice for those fine motor skills.
    Make a cheerios necklace. Put tape around the end of the thread for a "needle."
    Online I found coloring pages to his favorite cartoon. He loves to color although at 2 he can be 4 or more inches outside the lines sometimes. They don't have to be good at it yet, just make an effort. Then, they have a picture they colored "just for Daddy!"
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Cont...
    Indoor stuff seems to require more creativity, I think.
    Does your library offer a "story time?" Mine has one just for his age group. They sing, wiggle, read, and have fun.
    Have you joined a local moms club? There are a lot of different kinds, some free, some with a small membership fee. It can be a good way to meet people, get out and see the community if you aren't familiar with it, and your son can meet other kids. The club I belong to does weekly activities. You pick the ones you're interested in. Works great for us!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009