Have you ever been in a psych ward before?

I had a nervous breakdown at the end of my abusive marriage and ( I left him and divorced him later) and I was wondering if any other mom's had been to that point. They put me in a psych ward because I tried to kill myself, and actually, going through that saved my life and I went through counseling and finally got the confidence I needed to leave my ex husband. Now I am the happiest I've ever been!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Been there, done that. Not one of my proudest moments. I'm a hyper sensitive, vulnerable adult, though I can pass for normal most of the time. thank god for prozac.
    Anonymous

• No, when I was a teen, we did go visit my friends mom who was in one though.
    Anonymous

• I wish I could go to one now~
    Anonymous

• Yes, I tried to kill myself when I was 16. I have a long history with depression and I'm still on Prozac today. Partly due to heredity, and partly had to do with circumstances. There were some scary little kids in there though. Made sure I'd never want to end up in the adult psych ward!

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yep. I spent a week in one this past April. I was having self-destructive thoughts, and I put myself in there to get help.

It helped about *this* much. But I'm slowly getting better as my daughter gets older.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I spent two weeks in one. It was the best thing for me and not only saved my life allowed me to finally open up and admit I had been raped, I was molested, my dad tried to kill me twice and it was OK for me to finally not hold all that in and let it all out. I went to a year of intense therapy afterwards and now three years later am weaned off all my meds and am a new person. I don't have that dark cloud over me daily. I don't have the self destructive thoughts. I am not afriad all the time. I am a much better mom to my kids. I was made fun of for being in the mental hospital by a few people but they don't care about me if they can poke fun at it. Mental illness is a real illness and should be treated like any other health issue. I remain anon two of the meanies are on Cafemom.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I was there for a week after spending 4 yrs dealing with my husband's drinking (among other issues). I took enough meds to kill a horse and then drove off and got in an accident. Not my proudest moment ever. The worst part is that my husband then blamed me. Yes, I made a poor choice in dealing with my depression, but why was I depressed in the first place? I look back at it now and I had tried many, many times to call out for him to help me, but he was too concerned with where his next drink would come from. It was a horrible experience, but also the best thing that ever happened to me. I learned to pick myself up and to move forward.

Anonymous

• Yep I had a week stay when I was 17. I actually volunteered to go after having already struggled with 5 years of severe depression.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009