Would anybody let the doctors do a test on their 6months old daughter for a uti that was not really need even if the doctor threatned with child services?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well the doctor thought it was needed obviously or he wouldn't have threatened it. even though its not a fun test on a little baby (they have to give them a cath.) i would have done it if the doc thought it was needed. there will be times when i don't know whats best for my kids and have to take someone elses opinion into consideration.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree with vbachmommy, if the doctor thought my baby needed it I would do it.

Why did you think you should refuse it?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My dd was hospitalized for 2 weeks when she was 3 months old for a UTI. So YES, I would let them test for a UTI. Its not a big deal, even if they catheterize her, its not that bad.

Why the big fuss over such a simple test....if your dd does have a UTI she could be in pain....why wouldnt you want to know.....

A UTI left untreated can also turn septic which can possibly lead to death.....hello!!!

This is strange to me, and if I was the nurse or Dr I would consider calling myself.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• This would depend on why the doc thought it was necessary, and whether I agreed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If the Dr thought it was neccesary then yes I would let him do it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree with everyone else.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It depends on why they think it's necessary.

Also, you don't have to use a catheter.

You can get a pair of rubber gerber pants from walmart, and request a syringe (without the needle), and just follow your child until they pee, and immediately suck it out of the rubber pants (like through the leg hole). Also ask for a sterile container, and keep it refrigerated and bring it to the office ASAP.

Som doctors even have an actual method like this they use, and they have their own rubber type of diaper. My friend's daughter had constant UTIs and this is how they obtained samples.

I would not allow my daughter to be catheterize unless absolutely necessary. It is painful, epsecially for a baby that has no idea why/what is happening. There are other ways of obtaining a urine sample.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• What if the doc already determined its a uti but wants to do more test for nothing even thought the child is already on anitbotics for the uti. When all the doc is saying that they think the urine is back flowing in to the tubes or wherever even though the babys diaper is always full with urine so there is no possible way to have a back flow and the doc refuses to listen to the parent to test the childs urine again to see if the uti is still there or not even after the anitbiotics have been given for over ten days.
    Anonymous

• Second opinion in a heart beat! Follow your gut, if something doesn't feel right, do what you have to, to make the best decision for you baby.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• That sounds strange. I still think that if he wants a sample that bad, allow him to obtain it (or obtain it yourself) the way I posted above.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2009