Why are there so many of you so against home schooling when..

1. most of you have no idea what home schooling even entails.

2. It doesn't affect you in any way if someone else homeschools.

3. Our public schools are turning out record numbers of HS graduates who can't

read, write, or even speak correctly, and are so illiterate they can't even fill out

an employment application by themselves, and that doesn't seem to bother you???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• both bother me when they aren't done correctly. i think the approach of teaching a child only what they want to know is awful but not all home schoolers do that. just like not all public schools have high school graduates that can't read.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• That's IF they even graduate.....

I'm not against public schools entirely. I know it works for some. It doesn't work for everyone though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my neices are home schooled, and in their surcumstances i am against it, they have NO social interaction with other children, ever!
    they are 14, 11 and 7 and dont know how to talk to other people, yes they are very smart, but have no comon sence, they could never hold up in a social event, let alone a job.
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am a teacher and I think its a fine way to educate a child.

When done right and with patience and love it can be wonderful! It right for some people, others not! ;)

Homeschooling takes a very dedicated mother who works hard at it! And also a GREAT home school group to learn with from time to time:)

If you are doing it, be proud and dont let other people get under your skin. I know easier said than done.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm not against home schooling, I'm against it when parents say they are home schooling and their children are basically left alone. One of my SIL "homeschools" she stays up late and sleeps in late so the kids are up and left unsupervised from about 7am until she wakes up around 10 or 11am (her kids are 5 and 9). Then "IF" she's up to it then she does an hour or two of schoolwork unless it's a day she can take the kids to others in her homeschool group, in which case she meets friends for lunch or something for herself, then picks up the kids, lets the kids watch tv until hubby gets home and helps get dinner ready or plays with the kids. This is my BIL wife/family. The kids are very smart but like some of the others here have said have no common sense/social skills. Do I think public education is better? Not really, I think overall it depends on the child, their learning style and parents involvement.
    Anonymous