Can you get tattoos while pregnant

I want to get a simple 6 letter tattoo. Can I?

katsogrimey

Asked by katsogrimey at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it is not recommended you get tattooed during pregnancy due to the unnecessary stress put on your body during a tattoo (through pain, or healing) and just an fyi when you get tattooed ink does not enter your bloodstream, if it did you would be dead. ink is only applied about a millimeter deep into your skin to the dermis. i work in a tattoo shop and it makes me a little crazy when people talk about things like ink getting into your bloodstream causing an infection..there is absolutely zero chance of that happening!
    Kells22882

Answer by Kells22882 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't run the risk of infection while carrying a baby....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• ask your doc....they tattoo parlor will ask if you are pregger and they wont do it
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• How will it run an infection?
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• A tat causes an open wound. Also there is the risk of the ink hitting the bloodstream is someone messes up. Risk of allergy.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• any type of infections go through the blood stream which goes to the baby. I wouldn't risk it. Surely you can wait until after birth. I don't know of any tattoo place around here that would do it knowing you were pregnant. A free lance artist might but it's just not worth it to me.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm sure you could, but I wouldn't. Like the PP said you don't want to risk infection. Every time I've gotten a tat (I live in CA) I had to sign a paper stating that I wasn't pregnant. I don't know if that's actually a law, but my understanding is that most places don't want to have the liability.
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Oh ok I will wait then. Thanks for your help guys.
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 4:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009