I moved last fall into a new apartment complex. Now that it's summer, I look outside and see adults and kids walking around barefoot. Is this normal?

I see little girls as old as 9 or so outside with shorts or panties on and no shirt. I am new in this town, but where I come from, this is very odd. Have you seen behavior like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids have to wear clothes to be outside of the house. They can go barefoot in my yard only...otherwise I make them wear shoes to protect their feet from getting cut.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i see that all the time in my ghetto neighborhood...

i will not let my children outside like that  but some pp just don't care:)

Anonymous

• My kids go barefoot outside a lot. They love it.

But they always have to have clothes on.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• LOL, except for the other day when my son was on the porch in only a diaper... but that was just while I watered plants.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• shoes or sandles are a must, even in our backyard. i would never let them outside if they were not dressed. hopefully the bad behavoir doesnt affect your kids.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My girls wear clothes and shoes. Want to know what I hate.. people in the apartment building walking around in the hallway without shoes. UGH!!
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 5:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my boys wear shoes or sandals out in the yard (they have sensory issues and don/'t like to be barefoot in the yard). Every once in a while they will go shirtless outside but not very often.
    When out in public (park, other houses) they wear shoes/sandals.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I don't allow my kids outside unless fully dressed. That could mean a swimsuit. :) and/or flipflops. They need shoes. Our kids feet just aren't as tough as some peoples.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hmm, well we did sometimes go out without a shirt in my neighborhood when we were really little. Like around six, was the last time we did, and it was usually when we were in the wading pool. However, we lived in a very secluded neighborhood and 90% of everyone around us was family. Mind you that was almost 30 years ago, and it was a different time then. Now, yes, it is very odd. As far as shoes.., depends on how clean the area is. I never go without shoes and usually socks but my sister spent everyday without shoes it seemed like. Unless we were going to the store or something. Some people really do hate shoes. In our neighborhood, the worst things were bees, tar bubbles from the street and the gravel in the alley. But again it was a secluded "country" neighborhood. My kids, I require shoes, because I like them on and shirts for my DD, because times have changed.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Barefoot yes, topless for girls, No! My daughter hasn't gone topless outside ever. My son on the other hand will streak through my yard with just his underwear on. He just turned four and I am still working on modesty with him. This should be the very last summer that he thinks its OK to do that. IMO, after 3-4 years old (at the most), they should be able to understand modesty.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009