• In the Spotlight:

7mth old WON'T BF!! Any advice?

I know some of you have followed my constant battle with BFing! So we are having troubles again. We did good for a few days, and then I suppose my body wasn't producing enough for Kinley, because she became dehydrated even with me taking fenugreek and drinkings Mother's Tea...So I had to go back to formula... I just got a SNS. And this is more trouble than ever. Kinley hates it! She doesn't want anything to do with it or with my breast. If I do manage to get my breast in her mouth, she will bite me! What do I do? I feel like I've exhausted all of my resources!! I can't pump because I never get anything when try, no matter how long I sit there and pump! Please, someone help! I really really want my daughter to be breastfed as much as possible! And trust me I feel so guilty that I couldn't do it during that short period when PPD got me down!!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hey there hun, I don't really have any advice for you. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. when ds was a baby I tried everything as well and nothing worked. after 6 months of struggling and crying I finally gave up and exclusively formula fed. now he is a happy healthy playful 3y/o. just know you have done everything you can. and remember it may not be worth the stress on both you and baby. maybe just bonding over the bottle is best now.
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 4:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sounds like she has become attached to the bottle and would preffer to be bottle fed. I would let go of the stresses of BF and let her bottle feed. Pushing her into BF wont make it any easier. And she will just become all stressed out abou the whole things as well as you. Just know you tried your best and gave it a shot, your only human and there is nothing wrong with bottle feeding.
    Anonymous

• OH dear....sorry you are going through all of this, I would get to a LC ASAP! I don't know all the in's and outs of your story and struggles of BFing, but I would NOT let this get you down. I would cease all bottle feeding and just nurse, nurse, nurse!!! Call Le Leche League... call your hospitals laction consultants, call anyone and make appointments. If it's as important as it sounds like it is to you, look into ALL options. Good Luck!!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Thanks everyone for the great advice and support! I'm willing to do anything I can! :) Thanks MamaRoberts also, I'll be making appointments first thing in the morning! :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2009