My child hit her mouth hard today...tooth question

My little girl (5) walked into a shopping cart today and hit her teeth pretty hard. One of her front top teeth is wiggling. The tooth I am concerned about isn't ready to come out yet.

I was wondering if anyone out there in CafeMom land has ever had a child knock a baby tooth loose? What did you do about it?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If the tooth comes out call the DDS. Since your daughter is almost old enough to be loosing her teeth to begin with- they may say it is ok to leave it alone and do nothing. Or they may have you save the tooth so they can re-implant it. (I used to work in a dental office, and I know we did this on at least 2 kids).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If it comes out.. it will be fine. Her adult tooth will come in when it's ready.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• that sucks, but im sure theres nothing you can do about it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My daughter chipped a tooth when she was about 2.5. The dentist told us not to worry about it. Definitely mention it at her next dental exam...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If it is a baby tooth and it comes out, she will be fine. It may take a bit longer for the tooth to grow back, but it will be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You need to contact a dentist. Even if the baby tooth comes out, you need to make sure her permanent teeth weren't damaged under the gum line. My son chipped his tooth at 4 and the dentist took an xray to make sure the bone structure under the gum wasn't damaged. He didn't care about the baby tooth coming out or not.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was a preschool teacher for 3 years. One 3 year old boy fell on playground, and knocked one tooth out and the other front one was just dangling. Mom took him to dentist, and it was pulled also. No harm was done. His adult teeth came in just fine.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My ds was 4 when his then 9-yr-old brother thought that he could go down a snow-covered hill standing up on a plastic sled (like he was surfing). My oldest ds fell when the sled went out from under him hitting his little brother in the mouth. My dh & I rushed him to the ER. An oral surgeon was called. When he was putting my ds's 2 teeth back, one came out, root and all. The surgeon put it back in and very, very gently pulled the other tooth back into place. A few weeks later, x-rays were taken to verify that their was no problems. If there was a problem, he would have pulled the teeth. Everything worked out okay.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• When I was little I knocked my top front and bottom front teeth loose and it pushed my top teeth forward I should have had insurance but my sd thought getting his false teeth was more important
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009