Please respond if you've had BOTH induced labor AND non-induced labor

How would you compare the contractions?? If you labored with pitocin/cytotec/etc. how far did you get before requesting or considering an epidural? Was your labor much easier WITHOUT pitocin/cytotec/etc.??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Induced labor was ROUGH! Mainly because the contractions come on suddenly and they are super strong from the beginning, whereas going natural, you work up to the pain. It's gradual.

For me, after about 1.5hrs of the labor starting from being induced I was beggin for the epi.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have had both and I really didn't notice the difference in the contractions. I worked into the bad ones with pitocin, I woke up at four in the morn on my own doubled over. I actually preferred my inductions over spontaneous labor. It was different times for every delivery as far as pain relief went.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I meant when I woke up at four in the morning I went into labor on my own. That was the one where I was doubled over.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have only had one baby done via induction (pitocin). I was in labor for 40 hours. It took three hours for me to start contracting on the pitocin. I went 20 hours before I requested an epidural. I wouldn't have requested it at all but they gave me the option of having it prior to my water being broken. My girlfriend told me it was a lot better to have it before you had your water broken. In all honesty I don't think the contractions were that bad, but I only dilated to a 6 so, I probably am not a good judge of that.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I found that my labors were like this. Please note all my babies were within 5 oz of the size of each other:

1) first baby, contractions really hurt, water broke at home, no induction. (4 hour labor)
    2) second baby, contractions were painless till the last 15 minutes, water broke at home, no induction (3 hour labor)
    3) third baby, induced for medical reasons. Contractions were not quite as painless and seemed longer earlier BUT it was similar to #2 otherwise. And I think transition was weird, there was no proper break between the contractions and I thought "I can't do this" for almost 5 minutes. BUT it was still easier than my 1st birth and everything seemed just a little more intense than #2 (3 hour labor)

That's my take. The OB said I'd definitely need an epidural and I refused it but knowing I had quick/easy labors in general, take it for what it's worth.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have not had an induced labor, but my two labors were extremely different. My first was slow, gradulal in intensity and pain. Pretty easy to stay on top of the contractions and relax through them. My second was fast and extremely intense. It was more challenging and painful then I had expected. It took a lot of will power to stay on top of the contractions. Both labors were completely unmedicated, not even an IV. Just thought I'd share that even if you have the same conditions, no two labors are alike. :) First labor was about 12 hours active labor, second was 2.5 hours active labor.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• One additional thing, if you are considering an induction, DO NOT USE CYTOTEC. It is not approved for use on pregnant women and has injured and killed lots of women and babies. The biggest risk in overstimulation of the uterus, which could lead to an abruption, even in a woman who has not had a c-section before. Please do a lot of research and find out what your options really are.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my natural labor was hard 4 days in labor and 12 hours of pushing
    with my daughter i was induced with pitocin and it went fast from 4 am to 3 pm
    i felt strong comtractions but nothing really painful mainly just pressure i had the epi for half of the labor lol it ran dry and the dr was in a csection :( so i had her with no drugs technically lol
    i felt everything and it wasnt that bad lol lots of pressure and feeling her head there made me more motivated to push faster lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have done both, but I got an epi fairly early with both as well. I hate pain.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• oh, with the induction my labor was MUCH shorter. I was in labor a total of 6 hours with the induction and over 18 with the non-induced.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009