Homeschoolers...think this would be a good resource?

I was checking our the local CC online classes and found this one about homeschooling. It's through Olympic College Continuing Education and all classes are online - it's open to everyone. This is the first I've seen of a class about homeschooling. I might take it in August, but thought I'd see if anyone else out there has taken any classes to learn more about homeschooling or is this just the beginning of a new trend to help educate people more about it.

http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/oic3/newcrsdes.cgi?name=occe&course=hss&title=Homeschool%20With%20Success&departmentnum=PP&path=1

JPsMommy605

Asked by JPsMommy605 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've never seen a class like this offered & probably wouldn't take it myself. Every bit of information you'll get in that class you can get for free from the library & homeschooling peers. Once the course is done, you'll still go through the same ups & downs, trials & errors, frustrations & successes as you discover how to best educate your children.

I can see, though, how it would be beneificial to others. As adults we, too, are individuals with different learning styles.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If I was just beginning to research homeschooling and was interested in doing it with my kids I would take the class. I have done so much research online about it at this point that I doubt I'd learn anything "new". This will be our 2nd year =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hello! I just checked out your link and YES, it sounds like an excellent introduction to homeschooling. I would be interested in the "learning styles" since many homeschool moms, years ago, did not understand that...they chose curriculum that they liked or that was least expensive...not realizing they needed to match it to their child's learning style.

One caution...if they do not talk about the incredible A Beka Book publishing company nor its Correspondence School or DVD Academy, then it is a red flag. If your child memorizes easily, A Beka is the cadillac of all curriculums. The color, the layouts, the updated maps and history, the BEST phonics and language program...the Scope & Sequence...unbeatable. My kid went kg through 12th and won 4 scholarships, graduating Summa Cum Laude from the university. A Beka really knows how to prepare kids for national tests and college. I loved it. Excellent.
    Mom401
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• P.S. from Mom401 I forgot to add that the online homeschooling course teaches the legal requirements for all 50 states and how to assess your child's learning style. Those two features, alone, would be well worth your time.
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• mom401: i worked in a preschool program and we used the A Beka program for our preschools and the material is awesome. We used it with 2 1/2 yrs to 5 year olds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• and what about those who aren't religious, mom401?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009