talking about sex?

at what age would it be the right age to talk about sex. especially when the parents are very against abortion and wouldnt want that to even come up?

my oldest is only 6 yrs old but i know kids are having sex at younger ages so i wanna make sure i tackle it before it happens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• obvouisly your not going to talk to a 6 year old about sex, i would say around 11-12 would we an okay age.
    MummyMiller

Answer by MummyMiller at 5:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yeah i know. 6 is too young but i was just trying to make sure i tackle it before it happens and i just thought to ask on here so i wanted to ask before she becomes the right age and i dont even realize i should be talking about it. does that make sense?
    Anonymous

• Most girls start their period around 6th grade, which is 12 years, and I think that would be a good time. They may hear things before then, due to tv and friends, so if a question was ever posed from your daughter before that age, don't sweep it under the rug because she's "too young". My mom did that when I asked a question in 4th grade so I went to the library and found the answer for myself. And then I formed the opinion my mom was just going to lie to me anyways so why bother asking. Be honest if it ever comes up, but def. have "the talk" around 6th-7th grade or when her period starts, at least thats my opinion. I don't have a daughter myself, but I had my son when I was 18 and being a young mother thats how I would handle my daughter. I wish my mom would've been more honest and open about sex, even when she considered me "too young".
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my dd is only 4 but she know just about all the facts of life already. she know how babies come out and she knows evrything dies at some point. what she doesnt know yet and i plane on telling her in the next couple years is how babies end up in their momies stomach. i just tell that god did something speacial and then they babies r born. we rnt strictly religiouse but she accepts theses answers for now i figure i have intill shes 7 or 8 befor i have to start giving her different answers
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am a Navy veteran and there was information there that was on a "need to know" basis.  That may be the way you want to go. So be honest and answer questions to their age level. Always talk to them ask questions of what they think they know because they are talking about it right out the gate. I had my grandson 5 with another 5yo over to play and the other boy was already talking about kissing girls. Just keep the lines of communications open at a respectful level.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You talk to them about body parts at that age (6) and younger.

Granted, my children are 5 and under at this point, but my 5 year old knows body parts for boys and girls.

As she gets older, I expect that I will expand on that knowledge little by little as opposed to picking an age and throwing all the information at her at once. I think children should have their questions answered in a way that is appropriate to their age all through their lives.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I personally will go over the 'mechanics' of sex and reproduction at 8 or 9. I will go into more details on the relationship, STD and unintended pregnancy stuff when they are closer to 11. Even before 8 or 9 I would answer any question that came up with the most honest and age appropriate answer that i can. I will never leave it at 'I'll tell you when you are older' Example: My 4 year old son asked me where how the baby got in my tummy. I told him that mommy and daddy loved each other very much and that we decided that we wanted to make a baby and so God helped us to do that and put it in mommy's tummy til it got big enough to come out. He asked how it was gonna get out Answer: Mommy will go to the hospital and the doctors will help her to get out. all of this was perfectly acceptable answers for him. No further explanation was needed that time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Actually, I think it depends on what comes up in their life. I know my cousin had to talk to her DD because they a had a brother and sister on school bus, who were "experimenting". They were in kindergarten! Girls now are starting their periods as young as age 9. I know for me it was 12, but the trend is getting younger. There is some debate about growth hormones they give dairy cows, starting this, but who knows? Just be aware that it may be something you need to tackle sooner, than you expect. My DD is 10 and she's so emotional lately, I worry about her starting soon. She and I have talked, but its not something she "gets" yet. Still I will explain that once she does get a period, technically she could get pregnant and how harmful that can be for her health. Let alone all the other reasons, that right now she may not understand. But I know she understands not "getting sick" and staying healthy right now.
    Anonymous

• I have been talking to my son about sex and his body since he was about 4 years old. Always age appropritate. I answer all questions he asks, honestly and openly. He is now almost 13 and he knows how I feel and what he needs to know. It is never to early to talk about sex and such.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have been talking some to my eight yo.....not in detail, but just so she knows enough for now...as well as the door of discussion is open to me.
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009