Dye hair before or after cut. Not sure

I cant afford to get a dye,wash,cut, style at the salon. I was thinking about dyeing my own hair at home. but im not sure if i should dye before or after I cut it. Can you help?

Asked by NiekaC at 5:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• In the salon I color before I cut unless we are going really short or something just to save on color. But it's better to color first so you can trim off any ends that might over process after your color.. It always looks so much better.

Answer by Steff107 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You'll use less if you wait til after you cut it.

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I would color before, you can't save part of the mix... after its mixed you need to use it all or toss the rest. If you do it after I always feel like you mess up the ends again then. Don't they always color first on the makeover shows too?

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Color before cut. Fresh cut ends absorb dye at a faster rate or something like that contributing to uneven coloring. At least thats what I've been told.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009