How far developed is at baby at 36 weeks?

I am currently 35 weeks 5 days. I have had a lot of preterm labor and was in the hospital twice this past week. I want her out but only if she is going to be heathly and safe. At my doctors appt on saturday I was 2 cm dilated and almost done thining out.. Im not sleeping and I have an issue with depression which is getting worse now.. any advice you have I would appreciate it...

mommie2princess

Asked by mommie2princess at 5:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Her lungs may not be developed yet, sucking reflex may not be fully developed, and may not weigh enough
    Anonymous

• My son was born at 36 weeks excatly. I went from 2cm at 10:30am to 7cm by 7pm & when the doctor came in at 730pm I was 9cm and in full blown labor. He was born 7lbs 3oz and had no problems from being born early. They kept us 4 days instead of 2 to watch him but that was bc of a VERY rare heart problem (double aortic arch that he had fixed at 6wks w surgery) but again that was not because of when he was born, he wouldve had it at no matter what.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• She might actually be 34 weeks. Please just let her come when she is ready so she can be as healthy as possible. The March of Dimes is concerned about late term preemies. Babies who were supposed to be full term but weren't. They can have problems with their breathing and might need to stay in the NICU. I know it's hard....keep hanging on.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had my daughter at 36 weeks and she weighed 6lbs and was fine. All pregnancys are different and all babies develop different and yeah the lungs may not be fully developed. With my other 2 DDs my doc induced me at 38weeks and everything was great.

Anonymous

• Dialation indicates nothing ... women have walked around dialted for weeks and some don't dialate at all until the moment of birth. Preterm labor for you will likely be unpredictable. 36 is not quite ready. Some babies are born okay (possibly they are a week ahead of what was expected) Be prepared for problems with the lungs, the sucking reflex, and body heat regulation. Expect a stay in the NICU. Not all babies develop at the exact same rate...so just because baby A has few problems doesn't mean that baby B won't.

Get out during the day and get some sun, do something you enjoy, sleep when you can even if that means naps during the day. Pamper yourself before bed and listen to soft music or read a book to calm yourself before you sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My youngest was born at 36 weeks, but I had an amnio first to make sure his lungs were developed, and I was 100% certain of when he was conceived. He was small (6 pounds 7 ounces) but healthy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• In the state of Texas 36 weeks is considered full term. They can give you a shot that will help finish developing the lungs. There should be no major complications if she were to be born. Even if she was only 34 weeks she should be fine. The baby would not be dangerously premature. Ideally let things go naturally, but if delivery is necessary you should be good to go.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• In most hospitals, 37 weeks is considered full term. Your baby should be just fine. They can check for lung maturity and help mature them before birth if needed. One of my babies was born at 23 weeks and I would have given anything to have her at 36. Best Wishes for a healthy baby! Try not to worry... really, 36 weeks is good!!

Anonymous

• yeah, don't worry (it won't help your situation lol). my oldest son was born at 36 weeks 0 days and he was just fine. 6lb. 3oz. and a champ at nursing. he did look skinny though lol, but otherwise completely healthy. i was real sick with pre-eclampsia and he was just fine considering all the meds i had to be on too lol. just try to take it easy and put your mind at ease that from 36 weeks you can have a normal baby :) and good luck!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• At this point, I think they're just growing. I went in 2 days prior to being enduced and I was 3cm dialated. The doc gave me a choice to enduce or wait. I went in on Friday so noone had to take off work to visit. Maddie was 8lbs5oz and soo healthy! I started the IV's after 8am was pushing and having hard labor by about 11:30 and had her by noon. It went soo fast they couldn't even get me the epidural! If you're dialating or going into labor, I think your body and your baby are ready.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2009