Has anyone gotten pregnant while using an IUD?

I started using an IUD in February after giving birth to my son in December. The IUD is suppose to be one of the most effective forms of birth control, however I think i am pregnant again. I had my period in April, and again in May, but i am now a week late. i'm not feeling the same symptoms as my first pregnancy but i'm so paranoid!! My SO and I are 19 and 21 and we wanted to wait at least 3 years before having another baby!!! Has anyone gotten pregnant with an IUD in place? is it possible!?!

miss_carolina

Asked by miss_carolina at 5:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sorry to add to your paranoia....lol...but it is possible.....my mil had an iud plus was on the pill when my younger bil was born.....he will be 32 in august!.....lol

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 6:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Friend of mine got pregnant on minera. They didn't find out until over 18 weeks, and somehow the baby grew around it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Way back when (I think it was about 25yrs ago or so) my sil did.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• To answer your question. YES I am pregnant right now and I was on the paraguard IUD for about 1 1/2 years. I still have the iud in b/c they could not locate the strings so after many opinions from a few different dr's I have left it in and it has been such a roller coaster. I am now 16 weeks pregnant so far so good even though I was not ready for another child yet, but anyways. I would suggest to you take a pregnancy test and find out if you are prego asap cause if you are you need to have the iud removed before the string retracts further into your uterus and you cannot get it out unless certain tools are used and most likely it would end your pregnancy. I wish you the best! I would not recommend this type of birth control at all, I had no idea before I got the iud that if you are to become pregnant the challenges you would be faced with vs. the pill won't harm your child. I think the iud is far less effective than it claims
    rab5

Answer by rab5 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009