Advice on how to tell my Grandmother no Television for my daughter?

I need help on peacefully telling my grandmother I don't want my daughter to watch TV, and for her to listen. At the moment she just blows me off. My husband and I don't watch TV, and don't want our daughter to watch it either. My grandmother seems to think it's fine to go against our wishes and plans on showing TV to her. Any ideas on how to respectfully tell my grandmother, that TV is off limits to our daughter, without offending her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• well if shes just not listening about your opinions you have 2 options compromise and tell her what you would find acceptable (only cartoons directed at that age etc...) or not allow your daughter to be around her w/o someone who will stick up for your wishes if you aren't there. but how often is she really going to be alone with your grandmother? i mean my grandparents are in their 70's and my husbands grandparents are in their late 80's so our kids wouldn't be left alone with them anyways (not b/c they aren't capable of watching them, just that it would be too difficult for them to watch them, and by the time they are old enough to be alone in the house, i doubt our grandparents will still be alive)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Nope.... there is probably no way you won't offend her. Its a generational thing. The only way to completely protect your child from evil TV is to keep her at home with you at all times.

Good Luck....

Anonymous

• Well, if you are not there and she is at her house I wouldn't say anything because it's her house her rules. If she's doing it at your house it's your house your rules.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Well you just be blunt about it tell her how you feel and why you don't want her to watch TV. But if she is watching her it is her house and you cant expect her to change her living habits because you don't want your DD watching TV.

Anonymous

• I agree with steff107 also I want to add this consider grandmas health before you get out of sorts with her form of entertainment...

the other thing I can suggest for you is find a grandparent and me group in your area for her ..my kids go to playgroup Tuesdays 10-12pm with my mother they sing they dance they crochet (yes both my 4 yo daughter and my 2 yo son can crochet no joke thanks to this group) they paint and do fun stuff in a small safe area which is not too much for my mom to handle and she hangs with other grandmas
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 6:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• oh and another option is to try to get your parents to help you talk to her (if its your mom's mom your mom your dad's mom than your dad) and maybe she'll respect their views a little more, i'm 26 but my grandparents still question everything i do w/my kids b/c they still think of me as a kid, by now they see their children as adults and may respect their views more)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Grandparents will not listen they think your just being mean and it is there job to let the grand kids do what ever they want. I use to get so mad at my grandma and mom for some things I would ask them to please not do or allow my child to do and they would do it anyway.
    Anonymous

• You are the parent. If she can't respect your parenting decisions, then she does not get to babysit.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you don't watch tv, what do you do to keep yourself busy. I mean the news is very educational and there are some good shows for kids. I have a relative that doesn't let her kids watch tv but she has money and puts them in all different activites. If you don't have the money to keep them busy all the time what do you do with them all the time. Reading is, of course, the best but you don't read all day. I think it depends on the age of the child. 2 hours a day is fine. I don't know. When I was a kid, we watched it and one of my brothers graduated from a top college. The grandmother should listen to you but then she has to know what else to do to keep your child busy.
    Anonymous

• This is your grandmother and she is set in her ways. for you to tell her that will probably just make her irritated. Your daughter will know that she can not watch tv at your home. I wouldn't say anything about it. It is her home and she is babysitting your child. You may have to put her in daycare if you do not want her to watch tv at all. Thats an option.you and your husband may not watch tv, but, you are one of the very few.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009