How old were your kids when you allowed them to stay "home alone"?

I'm not sure I'll have to wait until my child is older; she's only 1 year so I'm not at that stag yet. But I have a friend who doesn't do it herself though she allows another person to leave her children unattended... they are 12 and 7 btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• In our state (AL) it's legal to leave a (mature) 12-year-old home alone for a few hours with a sibling or two. My 12-year-old isn't mature enough for me to do that, IMO. Maybe 14 or 15 with a neighbor looking in.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• latchkey is 12 here
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is legal to do that here so long as nothing happens. But leaving a child alone depends on the child. My son watched his 2 younger sisters when i had to go to the market. But at one time my youngest daughter was his age 12 with the dog. Someone tried to break in. Whether it was a kid or someone else it was terrible. The dog we had then a medium 25lb dog barked and her bark was so deep the person left. It was the middle of the day too.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yeah, Ohio doesn't have an exact age that I could find, If they do let me know! But I do know there was a story in Cleveland about a mom who tried to call the cops on her ex because he was leaving their kids alone at night when he had visitation so he could go to work. But because nothing bad happened, they couldn't do anything. They were pretty young too. She took it to the media, I think, to draw attention to it. But seriously, how could a person know when something bad is going to happen, how stupid of a law is that! I was 12, but my invalid grandfather was home, and I had to talk to my Grandma the whole time, Mom ran to the store. My son, was about the same age, but it depends on their maturity level. Check the Red Cross, they may have a class.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 7:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I left my son alone for short periods of time at 10 yrs old and now at 13, he stays home alone for longer periods of time. Age varies by city, in my city it is normally 12 but it also depends on the maturity of the child. If they can stay calm in an emergency situation, etc they are ok. Check with your local police department.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009