What are unsafe foods for a 11 month old?

I know cow's milk and peanut butter. I have heard honey, not sure if its true. Are there any others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honey is definitely unsafe for children under 12 months, i read it on the jar i have here. my pediatrician once told me only to give my daughter the egg whites until she was a year old too, although i've heard of some mothers giving their kids the whole egg and nothing happening.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• if you give her hotdogs for any reason make sure to cut it in half long ways first. and then cut it into pieces. ...if you dont cut it long way first those cute little round pieces are the perfect size to block her breating.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's true about the honey........no honey until after the age of 2. Basicly you don't want to give a baby anything that is a choking hazard........hot dog chunks, grapes, peanuts, popcorn and raw carrots. Peanut butter shouldn't be until after a year old, and the same with eggs and shrimp. Watch for any allergic reations such as rash, and gastrointestinal upset. Rarely kids can have a reaction that is severe and causes the throat to swell shut.......so keep a close eye with any new foods.

Blessings!
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 7:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• any cold meats,it has to be cooked befor u give it to ur child,honey peanut butter and eegs after they are one becouse it can cause early alergies, they can have scrambled eggs though and egg yoks no whites.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No stringy type cheese...like on pizza or moz sticks...thats really bad for children under the age of 2 or even 3. Choking hazard
    MomNamedRachel

Answer by MomNamedRachel at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Just FYI. Cow's milk is not unsafe...just not recommended in kids under 1 because they need their nutrition from formula or breastmilk. I've read that strawberries are best kept until after 1 yo but other berries are ok. Also, anything they could potentially bite/gum off a big piece of which could then get caught in their windpipe.
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 2:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• no dairy , or strawberries until after the age of one - due to digestive reasons
    no honey until after age 2 - due to botulism risk
    goody03

Answer by goody03 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Honey can cause botulism. So, it's a bit no-no.

You should stay away from high allergens foods: milk, strawberries, eggs, peanuts
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I didn't limit any of my kids food. I don't think I gave honey. But every thing I did. My boys were given whole milk mixed with their formula. And my dd was on whole milk at 10 months. My dd weaned of the breast at 10 months and it was either formula or whole milk. I chose milk because she was not getting a drop of formula.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009