Why do women who don't have any kids yet feel they are qualified to judge the parenting skills of others?

I'm not saying all soon to be mommys so don't get too hot! I just see it a lot around here. When I was pregnant with my first I didn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground! I wouldn't have the gall to contradict other peoples feelings and opinions. I mean, it's good to have some things set before you become a parent, but do we really need to judge others. You may be in their shoes one day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well....some women have been around a lot of children even if they don't have children of their own yet. For example, I worked at a daycare when I was younger. I've also done a LOT of baby-sitting and I've cared for family members. You can learn a LOT from helping others raise a baby, even if it's not your own. My aunt is AMAZING with babies, and she has never had children of her own. When I have mine, she'll be one of the only people, other than my own mom, who I will let watch him. There are many mothers who I would NOT let watch him because they don't do a very good job of taking care of their own. Some people might not know a$$es from holes in the ground before they have children of their own...but others are quite the contrary. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I know what you mean. I think they are just scared though and are trying to cover that fact up by pretending to know it all. In reality it would be much better for them to shut up and listen to what others have to say. They don't have to use all the advice they hear, but they would do well to listen politely. Plus younger people always think they know more. When I was 25 and pregnant for the first time I thought I knew a lot. I soon found out that I didn't know jack.

Anonymous

• I don't understand it.. but its not just woman its men too.. I had an ex that always tried to tell how to take care of my son and when to punish him.. that gets on my nerves.. one of my friends also try to tell me what I should do with MY CHILD when she don't even have custody of her damn daughter... I just tell them I don't want nor have i ever asked for your advice so don't give it to me cause your wasting your breath and pissing me off.
    sha-sha_mommy

Answer by sha-sha_mommy at 7:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Daycare and babysitting is way different than having your own children...you'll see. It's deeper, and more complex than someone elses child.
    Anonymous

• "Daycare and babysitting is way different than having your own children...you'll see. It's deeper, and more complex than someone elses child. "

Amen to that! But everyone needs to learn on their own that they don't know it all.

Anonymous

• You dont have to be a mom to know about kids. Alot of moms don't know very much about kids, thats why there are so many abused and neglected kids out there. I agree that you can learn a lot from babystitting and raising other peoples kids. I raised my sister and she turned out great. I had my first kid at 21 and it wasnt much different because i loved them both.
    Anonymous

• That still has nothing to do with telling a woman with 4 kids how to parent when you don't have one.
    Anonymous

• Well if you dont like their advice why dont you just ignore it? I've always taught my daughter to ignore bad advice. You should try it, you'll be a lot happier and maybe not so bitter.
    Anonymous

• No, you don't need to be a mom to know about kids, but when someone who has been through pregnancy and childbirth before tries to give you advice you should be polite and listen instead of challenging them. I always listened to advice I was given even though I knew some of it I would never use. I also never, ever thought I had a right to tell someone how to raise their kids. I still don't think I have that right.

Anonymous

• Yea, but you should also be careful of advice. Ive been told things before that would have harmed my daughter if i had listened to it. it's best for your kids if you consider advice first or you could put them in danger. i think you should always challenge anything anyone says about what to do with your kids. my daughter comes before any womans advice, sorry.i challenge everything people try to tell me about her. its stupid not to and my little girl is completely healthy and happy. i know best, not some random mom.
    Anonymous