Anyone become pregnant while on the Mirena IUD?

I have the iud and lately i've been paranoid I'm pregnant due to various symptoms I've been experiencing. I took a home pregnancy test which came up negative, but I'm not comforted by this because I don't know if the IUD would skew the results, and 3 came up negative when I was pregnant with my son. The only reason I found out with him was I needed an x-ray at the hospital for a work injury, peed in a cup and was shocked by the nurses "your pregnant" response. So my question is how "normal" is it to get pregnant on the iud, and would the iud itself mess with the test results.

Obviously I'm going to make an appointment with my dr, if the symptoms continue I'm just currently on vacation and was wondering if anyone else experienced this situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• I got pregnant with the Copper T IUD and I found out with a positive home test right away. You may be getting false negatives because you have low levels of the pregnancy hormone or because with any IUD there is greater risk for an ectopic pregnancy, which is also hard to detect. Then again, there's a less than 1% chance of becoming pregnant with an IUD.
    If you're having symptoms of pregnancy, go ahead & call your Dr. They should have more sensitive tests.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 7:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009