Would you hold it against someone if they joined a gang in prison to survive?

My hubby just hired a guy who got out of prison 6 months ago. He has been in for 12 years... since he was 20. Everyone knows that, in prison, if you don't join with a group, you don't survive.
This guy is white... so he naturally was recruited by the Aryan Brothers. He has lived with their ideals for a good part of his life, and is now working primarily with minorities at his new job.
Veeeeeery sticky situation for my DH... who is the manager.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 7:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would actually make him work with people of another race. At first, for most inmates, it is hard to seperate prison life with the "outiside" world. They are suspicious and untrusting. They have to have those attributes in prison to be able and survive. Whether they were in a gang or not. Once they are out, it is hard to assimilate back into society, but if he is catered to (such as in NOT having to be around "those mexicans", he might continue with his beliefs and habits and eventually he will end up in prison again. But if he is around them more often, he will realize what the rest of us know, and that is that people are just people and there are good people and bad people of every color and size.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't, I would pray for them, be an example of Jesus to this person. Still use God given wisdom on how to handle situation.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure he joined AB? Alot of people go to prison and don't get in with a gang. AB isn't even in all prisons depending on what level of prison he was in.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Ummm... how many people do you know that have been to prison? I know a few, and believe me... a person may not SAY they were in a gang, but they were...because if you're a loner in prison, ALL the groups go after you (if you know what I mean).
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

Ummmm I know what you mean and 4 yrs working at a level three gives me a bit to go on.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• So how do they survive without a gang? Solitary?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Oh, and to answer your original question, Carpy.. yeah, he definately joined AB. One of the first questions he asked my DH was "Will I have to work around 'those mexicans' all the time?"
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hell no I wouldn't hold it against them.

If I was in jail that's the FIRST thing I would do. You have to do what you need to in order to survive. It's quite possible that he adopted those ideals just so that he could get through prison alive, it doesn't mean that he really thinks that way. As long as he's not creating any issues in the work place, just let him be. Obviously, it'd be wise to ask him to cover any tattoos that represent his affiliations, but other than that, let the man revel in his freedom and get back to living a normal life.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

Alot of people pledge no allegance to anyone. They prove themselves and are left alone. It depends on the level of prison they are in. Not all prisons are the same.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't hold it against them if they joined in prison for survival. I get that. But if they're out free and continuing the disrespectful nonsense that gangs do, I wouldn't think very highly of them.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009