i have severe stomach pains 5 wks postpartum!

i had my baby 5 weeks ago, and i have felt ok until about 4 days ago, i have radiating pain beneath my ribcage and behind my breasts. it feels like its originating in the stomach and sometimes i even feel it in my back! i was breastfeeding for 3 weeks exclusively and then switched to formula. has anyone ever felt like this??

babybaileysmom

Asked by babybaileysmom at 7:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• I think it is your gallbladder. Please go right away to your dr. It is probably gallstones, but since the pain isn't going away you GB is probably infected and can gangrene if you don't go into the doctor. I would even consider going to the ER and ask them to check you GB.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I should have said that I had this too, when my first was born. I went to the ER because I was having pains that were worse than labor pains. The pain subsided while I was at the ER, so they sent me home. Two months later while I didn't have insurance I got the pains back and refused to go to the dr, because of the no insurance. After four days I started vomiting and my mom made me go to the ER. The doctor listened to me for two minutes and said it was my GB. I laughed and said only old people get that and he told me no that is is extremely common for pregnant and recently pregnant women to have it as well.
    They did the U/S and It was my Gb infected and they had to remove it as an emergency procedure.
    I felt so great after the surgery.
    Please pm me and let me know what the doctor says.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i went to the dr they did the ultrasound & nothing showed up ... just enlarged spleen but my pains are on my right side mostly and i read some article that maybe the blood tests and ultrasounds were done prematurely if the pain is still present. whatever it is, it hurts like hell & i have my 6 wk checkup on wednesday w my ob maybe she can be more clear than the dr i went to
    babybaileysmom

Answer by babybaileysmom at 8:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I would try the ER again. When I went in the first doctor didn't know what he was doing and didn't catch it. I would also think about calling the OB and tell them what is going on and see if they can squeeze you in early, sometime tomorrow.
    I am sorry you are going through this, I know how horrible it can be.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009