How old was your child when they went for their first dentist visit??

My son just turned three last week and I was wondering how old they should be when they go for their first dental check up.

joelsmommy

Asked by joelsmommy at 8:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• my sons were between 12 and 18 months. they just have to have teeth....and the earlier they go the less drama there is lol. but if you have a dental plan, see what they say too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My son was 4 years old when he went for his first visit. He went to a pediatric dentist and she was awesome.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• They ask that you go before kidergarten (Which starts at age 4 around here)
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• wow.. 12 and 18 months...

my daughter has 8 teeth and 4 coming in.. what would a dentist do for a 15 month with no so many teeth..????
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 8:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My dentist reccomends the start at 3 yrs...from experience, they seem to handle it better at the tail end of three, than at the start! :o)
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• USNmomwife-
    clean the teeth and x-rays. my first son started going after he broke off a tooth and had to get it pulled (the 18 month one) and the second son went shortly after his first birthday. he had only 6 teeth at that point i believe.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I used to work in a dental office. Some kids do really well the 1st time, others need to slowly work up to getting their teeth examined and cleaned.
    My oldest was 2, he got right in the chair and opened up- had no problems with the exam or cleaning. My 2nd he was 3 1/2 when he allowed them to 'count' and clean his teeth. My 3rd son is 3 he is scared (and alot more stubborn about cooperating) at the dentist, I am hoping that at our next appointment in 6 months he will be open to looking in the room.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My older 3 were all going into kindergarten so between almost 5 years old to almost 6 years old. My 3yo hasn't been to the dentist yet. It's just not something we think about here. I haven't been to the dentist since I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. That was 11 years ago and that was the first time I had been to the dentist in like 10 years. The dentist was actually shocked to find a grown adult with no fillings in the back and no cavities. I guess I just have good teeth.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Some dentists will suggest your child see them after their 1st birthday. My daughter is 3 1/2 and she has her first dental appointment in a couple of weeks. She doesn't have any problems or visible cavities and we brush her teeth 3 or 4 times daily with flouride toothpaste.
    Anonymous

• I took my son with me to visit the dentist as soon as he got his first teeth at 6 months. He sat on my lap and all the dentist did was get to know my son & peek at his teeth (he got 4 all at once) to be sure they were developed normally & clean. I took him with me to every check-up I had thereafter, always keeping him on my lap so that he could get used to the dentist office & our dentist would always do a quick check of his teeth & usually give him a "prize" for being such a good boy. As a result, he's never been afraid of the dentist and, as an added bonus, he is 14 & hasn't ever had a single cavity.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009