Should pregnant women have an iguana?

I have an iguana and want to eventually hopefully sometime soon have a child...I do not know if it would be best to find a new home for Iggy. I have read that it is not a good idea to have Iguanas when u are preg or have small children as they can and DO carry samonilla and other diseases. I am up in arms about this. I love her to pieces...but she takes up A LOT of room and I dnt kno if I completely trust her with what she can carry. Also, the risk in biting...She HATES my boyfriend so having him care for her is almost a "not going to happen on her terms" kinda thing. I just need some advice...any is apprieciated.

Tracy

tnkrbell860

Asked by tnkrbell860 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• My son has one. I was told to stay away from it. Salmonella can be very dangerous to a developing fetus.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• how old is your son?
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• eleven
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am new to this and dnt kno how to use it...lol is there a chat room or something?
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You could maybe call your general practitioner and ask.....or maybe your ob/gyn if you have one. She could tell you best. How much do you handle the iguana? Maybe you could ask your vet about the risk too?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yea...i go to my obgyn on the 10th...i am going to bring all of these questions and many more up lol....gotta do things right :D
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had an iguana when I first got pregnant, and I contracted salmonella at 11 weeks. I almost had to be hospitalized, and my doctor was very adamant that I find my baby a new home. It was very hard to do, but the risk was not worth it. I know some people who have had reptiles during their entire pregnancy, and were not affected so I guess its just a gamble. If you do decide to keep her, wear gloves whenever you handle her or her cage or feces, and wash your hands very good before and after the handling. Never handle her and then touch your face/mouth, etc. Good luck and I hope all goes well!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Thanx....I think I am going to go with whatever my obgyn suggests...Iggy recently started biting as well...doesn't want me near her...she has been in such a mood...thank you for the advice :D
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009