What do I do everyones pressuring me!?(about starting solids)

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and everyone I live with tells me I am hurting her or like holding her back by not giving her solids. Well I want to wait till 6 months and they think I am hurting her. I am going crazy I want to do the best for her but I am lost. Should I or not?

HeidilovesNyla

Asked by HeidilovesNyla at 8:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait till the 6 months like you want to. You are the parent and they should respect what you choose to do with your child. Don't let anyone pressure you into something you feel is not right for your child at any point in time.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you are breast feeding they don't even need any solids till 1 yr. Any solids you give before that are for taste and expirmenting only. I waited till 11mo to give my EBF baby any solids and he is just fine. He loves to eat and will eat anything I put in front of him and he is now 2.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My pedi said to start solids at 7 months, but only small amounts, a little here and there for practice. Thats what I did, and at 10 months my DD is a pro, lol. She now gets 3 bottles a day plus snacks (fruits, veggies, cheese, yogurt, cereal or bread). She eats anything and everything I have given her. They are still supposed to get all their nutrition from formula or breastmilk until a year old. Solids are just supplemental until then, so don't let them pressure you. Good luck!
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 9:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You do what you feel is right for your baby. Tell everyone thank you for your opinion, but I am her mother and I will do as I see fit. Our LO didn't have solids until about 9 months if I remember correctly. I agree that the solids are for taste & practice, unless she wasn't gaining weight and her doctor wanted you to start earlier, because her nutrition for the first year is the formula or longer if you are breast-feeding.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my kids didnt start solids till 8 months :) my 2 year old was closer to 9 before he really showed interest. A baby wil show signs when they are ready!
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do what you think is right. Your baby will show you the way and you can just tell these people to stop pressuring you as you will make the right decision for your child or ask them if they would like to take her to the ER because she is choking as she was not ready for solids (that won't happen but you will scare them)

My baby was very ready for solids at 3 months but we waited until 4 months. She would just stare at our food and try to eat everything. We are starting slowly now to introduce veg (she is 17 weeks) but if she was not ready we would have waited too. It actually worked in her favour too. She used to be a very small eater and low in weight but since solids has actually been eating more and more milk.

The best thing to do is watch the baby and give them what they want and need. Milk really should be the main dietary component for the first 12 months/
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Heres some statements from the world health organization and the american academy of pediatrics that both say to wait til 6 months, print them and show them to whoever pressures you...
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/infantfeeding_recommendation/en/index.html
    ALSO print this out explaining breastfeeding and solids
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• That's just how people are. If it's not one thing, it's another.
    Start solids when YOUR baby is ready. Look for all the signs of readiness before starting. Each baby will meet that milestone at different ages--my daughter was 5 1/2 months old and my son was 9 months when he wa ready... all babies are different.
    Anonymous

• You know your baby the best. If you feel that she's ready, then go for it. If you don't feel she's ready, then don't do it!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• actually the longer you hold off on solids , the less likely a child is to develop allergies and food reactions.

also there is new research the problems like irritable bowel syndrome in young adults my be linked back to starting solids too early- because a baby can not really digest them
    goody03

Answer by goody03 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2009