• In the Spotlight:

For the last couple of days, my one week old son will not breastfeed from my right breast.

Any idea why and suggestions on what I can do. I thought it might be due too breast engorgement, so I tried pumping a little first but that didin't work. A few times it got to the point that he got so agitated that by the time I gave up and went to the other breast, he didn't want that one either. I ended up giving him a bottle.

nicohle22

Asked by nicohle22 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have had that happen you have to stop feeding him on the side that he likes make him only eat from the other side or your milk will dry up on one boob. I know I did that. One boob is always easy to suck then the other one but you can make them the same. If that makes sense. Well good luck

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have heard about this & I believe the suggestion I was given was to keep trying on that breast but let ur child feed off the breast they r comfortable w/ as well. To keep from ur breast drying up just pump the milk to keep ur supply coming in. He'll get the hang of the other one but consult a lactation consultant at the hosp they are always around to ask questions or to come to your house to give you some helpful tips.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sometimes it can be a positioning issue or it could be a milk flow/let down issue or it could just be that your baby prefers one side to the other which is totally normal.
    I suggest seeking some advice and support from your local La Leche League. One of the leaders can help you figure out what is going on and together you can find some solutions so that your baby will nurse from both sides.

I know right off the bat, some moms find it very beneficial to offer the least preferred breast after baby has already drank a small amount from his or her favorite. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• thank you for your answers. Fortunately this afternoon, he took the least preferred breast. I can only think that maybe the milk was not tasting well due to a clogged duct. I kept massaging the breast while I was pumping it and the "lump" seems to have gone down significantly. Who knows, just happy that both breast are now being "used"-LOL
    nicohle22

Answer by nicohle22 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009