How can increase my milk supply?

mahamasvan

Asked by mahamasvan at 9:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Are you sure that you have a supply problem?
    drink lots of water
    nurse frequently, at least every hour when you are awake
    take brewers yeast tablets (you can get them at a health food store)
    have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    relax!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. Relax. I KNOW it's hard to do! You're body continually makes milk. If your baby is sucking, he/she is getting something. Do not gage your milk supply by what is coming out of a pump. I would pump for 15 minutes and get a whopping 1 1/2 oz when my daughter was about 6 months. The pump does not empty you. Go off of wet diapers. Do not fall into the supplement with formula trap. You're milk is best!! I nursed both of my girls for 14 and 15 months. I had fears that I wasn't producing enough. I was. You likely are too!! I'm half weepy for you right now. Being a new mom is hard. The la leche league is a great website llli.org and so is kellymom.com. Visit their sites and call them if you need them. I did!! They're great!!! The book "So that's what they're for!" is awesome too! Hang in there and do not give up!!!!
    lydilynn

Answer by lydilynn at 5:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009