How do i get my toddler to go back to sleep during the night/early morning?? HELP

Hi there, i have a 16 month old who is in a bed (due to baby #2 due in 12wks). He loves his bed and goes to sleep fine during the day when he has his nap but at night its a whole different story. The last 2 nights i have done the sleep separation techinque(staying in the room and slowing moving out the door as they fall asleep) and has taken me 45 mins to get him to g2 sleep.
My question is what do u do if they wake up during the night/early morning and woke go bck 2 sleep unless he's in our bed??
I tryed the sleep separation tech for 30mins and was doing alright but i should of taken a chair to sit on as sitting on the floor is too much for my legs at this stage of pregnancy. so i ended up mucking it up and he ended up in our bed which isnt normal for us.
HELP!! i need to get this under control before baby arrives.
NO Negative comments Please!!

baby2inthemakin

Asked by baby2inthemakin at 9:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi baby2inthemakin! I am having the exact same problem and am hoping that someone answers this for us both.
    secondbaby75

Answer by secondbaby75 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Try a sleeping bag. Maybe for a few nights sleep in your bed in the sleeping bag. Then maybe on your floor next to your bed, then in their bed, with you laying on the floor while they fall asleep. It's what helped us.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thanks for the reply. Well last night it only took me 10-15mins for Jacob to go to sleep. I stood in the middle of the room with my head down so he could only see my side profile and slowing edged my way out..I checked on him before bed and he was sideways so i turned him around and he was still asleep lol. I kept waking thinking he was up or was gonna wake up :s....Got to 4am and i went and checked on him and he was fast asleep :) and he slept in his own bed all night and woke at 6.30am...he used to wake at 7-7.30am but the last week its been 6-6.30am...not sure weather it was cos he was getting sick as he has a cold now. so hoping he'l go bck to normal waking time & that he'll stay in his bed but if he wakes from now on im just gonna do wat i do normal(chck bum, give him a drink etc)bck 2 bed and stand in the room like i do at bedtime....they say it takes 2 wks 4 this work were u shuld b able 2 jst walk away.
    Good Luck
    baby2inthemakin

Answer by baby2inthemakin at 12:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009