what are your thoughts on parents who leave there infant/young child in a car for many hours unattended usually resulting in death?

I find it completely unacceptable, I can not even begin to fathom ever leaving my child in a car by himself, not even for a second. It's like breathing, you don't forget how to breathe, you don't forget how to walk or how to blink your eyes, you don't forget your child! how can someone really be that dense. Everytime I hear a story of a child dieing because of a parent leaving their kid in a car, I just think, How does this keep happening???

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i don't understand how or why this happens. these are our children, not a bag of groceries that can easily be forgotten. i think it shows how fatal irresponsibility can be. i check on my kids every 5 minutes (usually less) when they are sleeping, playing, watching tv, or any time they are not in my immediate range of vision (which is rare, i'm a sahm so it's my job to watch them all day every day) wouldn't you notice after a few minutes "hey, what happened to susie?" and go look for her. and for those who know their child is in the car, at least sit in there with them to make sure they're ok- not only is weather a killer, so are PEOPLE. i would hate for someone to snatch up my baby while i'm away. it's one thing to quickly pay for gas, but hours? u don't have to be "mommy of the year" to know not to leave your kid locked in the car. i think the parents should pay for their irresponsibility, not their children.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I find it incredilby sad. I have always been terrifed of doing exactly that.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 9:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's heartbreaking. Its not intentional, and these parents will have to live the rest of their lives knowing what they did, and constantly going over in their mind what they could have done to prevent such a tragedy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I ALWAYS have bad dreams when I'm prego that I'm going to forget my baby. Never have or would. I wonder if it people that do it are missing a hormone or a synapse or something.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I've heard of a few where each parent thought the other had taken the child from the car, put him down for a nap, and didn't discover the mistake until they started wondering when the baby would wake up from his nap.
    I also have seen enough of life to not judge the mistakes others make - even when it costs someone their life. Crap happens. And usually, the person who caused the problem feels incredible guilt. Why should I add my "You stupid idiot" comments to their grief? Does that make anything better? No. And it usually just makes me feel worse. So instead, I try to find ways to learn from the mistake someone else made, to make certain I have a system in place so on days when I am sick, exhausted, or harried that I don't make a similar mistake. To me, that's a much healthier way to live.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I say that the parent should then be strapped into a adult sized child car seat and placed in a minivan out in the same weather condition in which the child was left in. As the temp changes in the car that adult can then think about how it must have felt to be a defenseless child stuck in that same position.
    In my opinion, there is NOTHING that is more important then thinking about your children. A good parent thinks about thier child ALL the time and they know EXACTLY where thier child is. To say "Oh, Uh...I was sooo busy, I forgot they were there!". Nonsense!!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• In a perfect world mistakes wouldnt happen. I hate that it happens too, but Im not going to hold ill will towards someone who had there worst nightmare come true. They are going to be hard enough on themselves. People work to hard, have to much going on and its a sad sad situation ...............
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have no idea how any parent can leave a child in a vehicle without realizing they are in there. There has not been one point in my daughter's life when I was not able to look in my rear view mirror and see her in the backseat. Even when she was rear facing (she's always been in the middle). I live in south Florida and hear it all too often on the news, and it breaks my heart everytime. If I ever came across a child in a car, I would be opening the door one way or another and on the phone with the police at the same time. Making my eyes well up just thinking about it....
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• A military hot box for 24 hours for the parents a real wakeup call for doing this crime
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

I didn't when I was pregnant, but when my daughter was a newborn, I would check the back seat like a thousand times because I feared leaving her somewhere...like a shopping cart at the supermarket! ....It never happened, but it was somethin that ALWAYS crossed my mind and I don't know why. Maybe the lack of sleep......

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009