Is it healthy for children to fast?

By fast, I do not mean a water only diet. I myself am interested in a raw vege and fruit juice diet and I can suppliment for things like protein. I was thinking about it for my kids (my son mostly - I believe he may have a higher toxicity level due to his vaccines - I believe the benefits would be good for him). This diet (for an adult) would last for three days, but I was thinking that I could shorten it for my kids ... assuming it is healthy for them. Does anyone have any information on children fasting? Is it healthy for them considering their development? Do you have some sources that I could research?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• I would not think that is OK to do but this is something you need to talk with his Dr. about.
    Anonymous

• Depending on how long it lasts and the age of the child, it can not only be unhealthy but also a criminal offense. I would discuss it with my doctor and clear it with him before doing anything! Children have a lot different nutritional needs than adults, and most doctors will be happy to set up a meal plan which can be healthy for them! Good luck :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I was thinking about modifying my vege juice diet (which uses fresh, organic fruits and veges) by doing it for only one day and I wouldn't eliminate their meals entirely. I was thinking I would substiute breakfast and lunch with the vege / fruit juice and add the protein suppliment. This would give them the necessary nutrients (I certainly do NOT want to deprive them of nutrients and that is not the purpose of a fast anyway), and I would give them a light dinner - perhaps homemade chicken soup along with a vege / fruit juice drink. I have also been told that for the adult version, if one feels the need to eat something, that they can eat watermelon - since it is mostly water and there is not much to digest. The point of the fast is not (as I stated before) to deprive the body nutrients, but rather to find a way to provide necessary nutrients while easing digestion so the body can "focus" on raising immunity and ridding toxins
    Anonymous