Serious Question about surgery..

My 5 year old is going to have his tounsils and adnoids out soon. I was taking to a nurse today and she said that is a harsh surgery. Then she said how a girl she knows who was 8 hemeraged and died a few days later at home. Now this has got me worried!!.
Anyone with children who had this done before, what can I expect?
..Please no scary stories, Thanks ♥

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i had it done when i was 11. the anesthetic can be hard for some people.
    popsicles are GREAT...something cold to suck on afterwards.
    not something that will create more phlegm tho.
    this is usually a very routine surgery, they used to do it all the time, i dont think they do it as much anymore. but im sure the dr performing it will be great. and your son will heal up fine too. the recovery time after usually isnt that long either. about a week
    and the first day or so throat is sore so you dont really want to talk. and you get "buffalo breath" and a funky taste partly because of the anesthetic ...
    get him some movies, a comfy place to cozy up. a bell! lol j/k. and soothing popsicles and dont worry (so much) :)
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm appalled a nurse would tell you that story, thats horrible. I wish you and your child the best!
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I work for her mother and was talking about the surgery. Then she said don't tell the mother, I don't want to worry her. I looked at her and said I am the mother.. She didn't mean anything by it, I have known her for 9 years.. but it was scary!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Gee... what a dimwit nurse!!! I've never heard of it being so "harsh" My sister had it done when she was little, and it was all good... and that was 40 yrs ago. Medical technology has really improved since then. Don't worry...everything will be fine.

Anonymous

• My nephew had it done a couple of years ago when he was 4. He was excited afterwards because that's when he realized how many popsicles he's was allowed to eat. He's fine.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. Everything will be all right.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• That hemorraging is very far and in between and is usuall cause by the kid not resting their throat. Not too much talking and no screaming. My cousin had his taken out when he was 7 and he was always a little brat, if he didn't get what he wanted he would scream at the top of his lungs and had to go to the hospital 2x's! I had mine taken out and had no probs. Good luck though and I know you are just a concerned mom.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• All surgeries have a potential risk. At least thats what my doctors always told my mom. But I dont remember anyone being that over the top.

Just breathe and relax. You could get your little one all nervous and freaked out. And thats not good.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Gigi, she mentioned that, about a child not being relaxed. She thinks the girl kept coughing on purpose and that is what caused it.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am staying as relaxed for him as I can. I had surgrey on my gallbladder two years ago and I was postive right up the the surgery and afterwards I didn't complian. I explained to my son that they will give him a needle and he will take a short nap, and when he wakes up I will be there. He knows his throat will be sore, and he knows what is going to happen. He is all excited about the ice cream.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had mines out when I was 4.. I'm 21 now and i'M FINE :) I have a friend that just got hers out almost 2 weeks agos and everything went well.... It'll be fine just stay positive... My daughter had a 6 hour surgery in her mouth 2 1/2 weeks ago and i was very worried also, but everything turned out great!! it'll be okay :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009