Tonsils and Adnoids..

My 5 year old is going to have his tounsils and adnoids out soon. I was taking to a nurse today and she said that is a harsh surgery. Then she said how a girl she knows who was 8 hemeraged and died a few days later at home. Now this has got me worried!!.
Anyone with children who had this done before, what can I expect?
..Please no scary stories, Thanks ♥

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• I had mine done when I was around your daughters age and it took me a while to recover.. but my sister had hers done a year later which made her the same age as me (we're 11 months and 17 days apart) and that day she was up playing and running around like normal.. we both would always have strep throat and were at the dr's at least once a month but neither of us have had strep since and haven't even really been sick
    SweetPea102689

Answer by SweetPea102689 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had mine out when I was 5 (I'm 26 now), and I was fine! It didn't even take that long to recover. My mom freaked out when I was first brought out bc she saw dried blood, but I didn't even notice. The only thing I really remember was lots of ice cream! On the way home, make sure to keep a bag handy, bc the car ride plus the drugs they give during surgery might make the LO sick again. My mom didn't have anything and she had to clean up her whole backseat :( It really isn't that bad of a surgery, and recovery rate is very fast for most. I wouldn't worry too much about it... Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is something big. My daughter has a lot of ear infections and a dr. i took her too requested that i have hers out too. But I wasn't sure,,,,,so i went to like 4 more dr.s. And all four said she was fine and they didn't need to be out.
    Why is ur son having his out????? Have you got 2nd opinions????
    It is a scarey situation and i was in the same position. Don't do it unless you HAVE to.
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had mine out when I was 20. Had a sore throat for a few days. Could only drink water and eat jello (ice cream made it hurt more for me). But I was better off for it (in fact the doctor said I should have had them out when I was MUCH MUCH younger). I had been having problems with them my whole life. It's also much easier to have them done as a child then as an adult!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had mine done when I was 11. I got sick after the surgery so they kept me for a while after surgery, but I went home the same day. Recovery went well and I was back to myself in to time.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 3:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009