Is white poop 'cause for alarm?

My 3 year old daughter went w/her biological dad friday night. He called & told me she had diarrhea..odd 'cause she had been perfectly fine all week. But ok. He said she threw up & had diarrhea Friday night & most of the day saturday. No fever though. Then today he bring's the kids home & tell's me that she didn't have diarrhea today but she pooped twice & it was white. Didn't really believe it but ok...well she pooped twice & it was completly white!!! So I've been reading on the internet & the articles scare the crap out of me as to what it could be. So has anyone had this happen? And is it really 'cause for alarm??

jfblaine

Asked by jfblaine at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd be calling a doctors office, ER, urgent care office, whatever and asking questions. That sounds scary!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It could be a liver problem! I'd go get it checked out ASAP! JMO.
    Anonymous

• White is genuine cause for alarm, it indicates a troubled digestive tract. (can't remember if its a clogged biliary tract...gall stone...) Anyway, my guesses aside, call the ER and tell the nurse on duty. Call your pediatrician's on-call emergency number, tell them and get accurate info insead of my guesses.

good luck.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 9:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have never heard of a child or anyone pooping white, What did the article say? and yes, I agree with MommaTurbo take her to the E.R. immediately.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• This is what I found on it...I'm gonna copy and paste it...

Clay-colored white stools in children are harmless as it is a sign of malabsorption during and post-viral gastrointestinal infections. I would not recommend feeding him yogurt or dairy products during and a few days after any events of nausea and/or vomiting. You should replenish his diet with an increase of liquids containing electrolytes, such as pedialyte. You should change his diet to a soft diet such as chicken soup. Avoid any raw vegetables and fruits until he is fully recovered.

Viral infections usually take 3-14 days to recover in children.

Regards,

John Thai, MD

Hope that helps, sounds like she'll be fine!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i would go into the doctor or ER immediately. it could be something as simple as a virus but it could also be something much worse, that if you wait too long would be harder to fix.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Once, my DD had white poop, she was about 1 1/2 yrs old. She wasn't feeling too good and would only drink milk. We went in to the Dr to check her out and of course...made a stinky when we were in the room waiting for the Dr. When Dr came in, she checked the diaper and we saw the white poop...she didn't seem concerned, she just asked if she was only drinking milk and suggested feeding her the BRAT diet.

Trust your instincts. You know your child....good luck

Anonymous

• I saw this on The Doctors show. They had a poop chart and said that white was bad. I would take her in asap. They said it could be something to do with the liver or kidneys or her GI track.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I"m sorry. BRAT diet??? I'm not sure what that is.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 10:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Bananas
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Toast

BRAT diet :)
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 10:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009