My step daughter is showing no maturity!!! Her dad does nothing!!!

I have a 22 year old step daughter that just graduated from college this past May. She works some scam job and only gets paid if she sells something. Which has been ONE time!!! She sells windows! So since May she has gotten one check. Also she comes into our house and borrows stuff that never gets returned. I had a very nice set of lawn chairs that she decided to use to go to a concert. It was an outdoor concert and they stayed in a tent. She said she accidently left them at the camp site. So I bought another lawn chair to sit in because I use them to sit in when I watch my kids play outside. Do you know she left it at a party and now that is gone too! My parents have a pool and I just bought new beach towels for my two little ones. She took those too!! She has taken and lost several things. I take care of my stuff and do not appreciate her taking things. She has lost my movies, curling irons, pillows... the list goes on!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Does she live there, because if she doesn't change the locks. Start billing for the stuff she takes.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm guessing this is not a question...but you just needed to vent?? She definitely needs to get off her butt and get a better paying job. Ask her nicely to not borrow your things if she can not return them!
    Anonymous

• Wow, and what does her dad think about all of this? I would just tell her in a nice way that you will not be lending her your stuff anymore and let her know why. If she takes it without asking then dad needs to step in and put her ass straight. lol. Much luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I don't know that you are obligated to keep letting her have your stuff. It's a pretty tough call because you don't want to make matters worse with her father. I wonder if she may not be selling your things rather than losing them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Not to be rude, but what is the question here?
    When you married this man you accepted his children as well. I am assuming that you married him when she was older so you didn't raise her, there is not anything you can do at this point. She has been raised to behave this way by her parents. If you don't want her taking your stuff let her know and hold your ground.
    Anonymous

• Well if your husband is not going to say anything than you need to step and say NO you cannot borrow anything else from us and explain why, that she is not mature enough to take care of your stuff and if she wants things like that than she needs to grow up get a real job and buy her own things. At the age of 22 she really needs to learn responsibility and kids, adults Will thank you in the long run (hopefully). Its called tough love. If Dad has a problem with it than so be it.

Anonymous

• My 19 yr old grandson just ran off with my favorite glass and ALL my towels (he went to the beach with his girlfriend all this week). I made him up a bill today. Beach towels and bath towels are not cheap! I can't take a shower until he buys me a new towel!!!! His birthday is coming up in July. I will deduct the price of the drinking glass and ONE beach towel from his bill but that's all he's getting from me! Not sure where they think they can just take what's our's. I have some concerns if your sd graduated from college and can only get a sales job that pays on commission. My grandson just got out of prison, no education (not even a GED) and he got a good job. Maybe your sd isn't looking hard enough. Send her to a temp agency. Major corps screen their employees through them. The pay is better and she can pay you back for the chairs. Send a bill. If dad doesn't agree then tell him he's enabling her and hurting her growth

Answer by admckenzie at 10:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sounds like she needs her a$$ kicked! lol, My advice, your house, your stuff! Talk to your husband and put your foot down! Just because its her dads house does not mean she can go in and out and grab shit as she pleases. If she doesnt live there, tell her that she needs to call next time and ask if she needs something. Dont let yourself!!!! Tell her something! If you dont, then she will still take advantage of you like that!
    dha8718

Answer by dha8718 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• When she asks to borrow something of yours tell her father to give her the amex so she can go buy her own. Then if she loses it it won't be yours she lost.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'd get an outside storage bin with a lock that only you have the key to. She has no right to come and take your and your children's belongings! And then to be so irresponsible with them! I would be so angry!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009