Overnight visit laws in California

I am 6 months pregnant and the father of my baby left me at 2 months for another girl and her child. When it comes to raising the child we agree on most things but as far as overnight visits we are having issues. I don't think that the baby should stay overnight until she is atleast 1. Are there any laws in California specifically dealing with these visits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Technically you have custody of the child until a judge says otherwise. You dont have to let him see her at all if u dont want him to. Do what you feel is right for your child until a judge tells you otheqwise.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I copied this off of lawguru.com -
    My daugter is 7 months old and her father is trying to get full weekend visitation, although he doesn't know the first thing about taking care of a baby, he's never been alone with her. I was told that in some states they won't grant overnight visitation if the child is under 18 months of age. Is this true in my state? (california)

Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 2:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• And this is the answer she got :
    The court will do what it considers to be in the best interest of the child.

If the father has never been alone with the child, it is likely that the court will order a 'phased-in' visitation plan whereby the father will have increasing amounts of time with the child.

It is public policy that both parents should be fully participating in the child's life. There is no magic formula and no automatic determination of whether overnights should be allowed. The court will view each case on its merits. You should be prepared, for the child's sake, to have the father fully participate - provided of course, that the father does not pose any threats to the child's safety - and you did not indicate that he did.
    Kiiimmm

• I hope this helps. And I want to commend you for wanting to have the father in your childs life, I think its great. I hope he is a good dad, even if he isn't a good partner. GL!
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 2:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• im in ca and they do not care about the child at all. my son is 21 months and the court wants overnights immediately when his father wont even visit unless its his way(been almost two months since any communication) going to see judge soon
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2010