I am TTC and want to hire a midwife for the next child.

We have no insurance, and I was wondering if it would be completely out of line to offer massage therapy every week for a year in payment for her services. Would this be ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that sounds like a great idea. you might also be able to barter w/ cleaning services.
    if you can't find a MW that wants to barter. see if you can't start a payment plan; a little bit each month for x amount of months.
    good luck and congrats!
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I dont think so, but good luck finding one willing to do that. Money is in great demand.
    Anonymous

• I doubt you will be able to find a midwife that will barter like that.
    Not for nothing but why would you TTC with no medical insurance?
    Irresponsible!
    Anonymous

• if you have no insurance i am sure you could get some while you are pregnant, does you state have something?
    i am also a massage therapist, and had thought about doing something like this because not all midwives take state insurance. but mine was also a massage therapist and they had another M.T. on staff as a midwife assistant. so i didnt think they would need someone else to give massage lol
    it doesnt hurt to ask some tho.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure of it.. but I have primary insurance thru my husband's employer ... but it only covered 80% ... and my doc told me that I could apply for PREGNANCY ONLY MEDICAID.. I did just that.. and whatever my primary insurance doesn't pick up.. the medicaid does.. haven't had to even pay a co-pay.. I know there are different guidelines for pregnancy only medicaid.. we do not qualify for regular medicaid or food stamps or anything.. we make too much .. but we do qualify for this.. and honestly I am very happy to hear it.. its been a big blessing.. most likely if you qualify for wic than you will qualify for pregnancy only medicaid.. good luck and congrats !
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009