Help with a 4 year old dumping her drink into siblings food!!!

My 4 year old has been dumping her drink into her siblings bowls and plate since she was 2. I thought we had gotten out of that stage, but she has picked it up again. I am at my wits end! How do I get her to stop wasting someone else's dinner? If she did it to her own plate, I wouldn't care so much, but now I have to make a new dinner for someone else. Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dont give her a drink, give her something to drink before you all sit down to dinner and after. OR to nip it in the butt totally, when she does it, take her meal away from her and give it to the child whose dinner just got ruined. Make her sit at the table with nothing until everyone is done with dinner. She will learn after a few times of going hungry that its not nice. IF you do either one you HAVE to be consistant.
    Anonymous

• Ok, so I did take her dinner away and fed it to the dog. I didn't have her sit at the table but I will in the future. I would have given it to the other child, but he won't eat anything that someone else has touched. Thank you for your advice. Since she only does this sometimes, not every meal and not every night, do I never give her a drink with dinner (or lunch)? For how long? I mean, really, I thought we were done with this a year ago and it has started again.
    Anonymous

• First I'd give her a good spanking for it. Then she'd clean it up and give her plate of food to whoever's food she poured her drink into.Four yrs old is way too old to be doing something like that. Then she'd be sitting by herself having dinner alone after everyone else has had dinner together. If my children didn't behave at the table during dinnertime, they have dinner by themselves after we all finished.

Anonymous

• If you still have a high chair then put her in a high chair and oway from everyone else and tell her until you behave like a big girl you will sit and eat in a baby chair
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I did give her a spanking (although I hate to do that when I am angry). I have never had a problem with any other child at the table, so I really don't know where this is coming from (I have 5 kids). Also, I would put her in the highchair but she would like to be the baby. It has been our battle all this past year since the new baby came. I think that would make her act up more, just so she could sit in the highchair. And yes, I agree, 4 years old is WAY to old to be pulling this stuff. That is why I came on here and asked for any ideas. Thank you for all your help ladies. If anyone else has a suggestion, I am willing to listen. I want to make sure it doesn't happen again, but if it does happen again, I want to be prepared ahead of time instead of getting angry.
    Anonymous

• give her a sippy cup for her drink or no drink at all? tell her she can earn it back...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• or do some sort of reward system. for every meal she doesn't dump the drink... she gets a rock (my sister does rocks, i have no idea why)... when she has 5 rocks... she can choose dessert, or 10 rocks she gets a new movie... but then you may have to deal with her always expecting something for acting good.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Thats what sippy cups are for. Find one that has a lid that is hard for even her to get off. Make her sit away from the other kids Or only give her the cup while you are there to watch her. A good pop on the butt might be in order.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009