Head Start in Texas....

I just found out Head Start is available in my area (Baytown, Tx) and was wanting to know more about it.
What age can your kid go?
About how much is the cost? I know its on a payscale- but could i get an example. Dh make a lil over 20k so at the YMCA it cost $30/mo.
How many days a week? How many hours?
Can I choose for her to go for less days, less hours? or is it like school & once shes in they expect here there.
(I am a SAHM if this effects anything & love dd home with me, but would love for her to have a lil play time with me not around, but we dont have the money for daycare- I checked for just 2 days. 1/2 a day a week & it was going to be $60)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Headstart doesn't cost anything.

It is like school, it is a preschool, not a daycare. It is usually 4 days a week and about 2 1/2 hours per day. If they miss too many days (non excused) they can lose their slot so another kid can attend.

It is usually for lower income families, but they do accept a certain percentage of non-low income families, and a certain percentage of special needs kids, too.

You need to call your local headstart, get an application and turn all the paperwork in. It's usually for 4 year olds, but they do have some slots for 3 year olds.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2009