My ear and throat are KILLING me... help!!!

I have a viral infection, seems to have progressed to bronchitis with a really swollen gland on the top right of my throat/neck. My tonsils were removed 15 years ago. It hurts to talk, swallow... everything. It is throbbing. I have gargled with salt water, sucked on a numbing drop, put homeopathic earache drops in, taken some pain pills... any other suggestions??? Please- it is killin' me... lol not quite, but owwwwwww

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• go to doc
    prob need antibiotics
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm going tomorrow- was hoping for some relief tonight though...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• get a sock fill it with salt, heat in microwave, just enough to make warm place on y our ear. it will help loosen anything inside. my 7 year old daughter says it works. it could be strep
    BERUMEN

Answer by BERUMEN at 11:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you're sure it is viral, antibiotics won't help. I'd ask the doc to do a culture just to make sure. If it is bacterial, antibiotics could probably wipe it right out.

Making a "bed buddy" (like BERUMEN described) is a good idea for your ear as well as trying to get that node to drain. Try Motrin or a pain-killer with an anti-inflammatory in it.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Try Chloraseptic spray.
    Anonymous

• My aunt did this with my son when he had an earache and it worked. Get a cottonball and wet it with olive oil I have even used canola oil, put it in the microwave til hot and put it in your ear.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Thank you ladies... I was tested for strep (-) on Th- that was when doc said I have a(nother) viral (flu??) infection... and then today this... I just told hubby I SO know why babies scream when they have ear infections. This hurts!! I have been sticking the tip of a frozen Ziploc in there- that helps for a minute or so... Going to try the salty sock thing plus an oily cotton ball- LOL I should be a fun bed partner tonight!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Okay, so I have a hot cotton pad w/ EVOO on it with a baby sock stuffed full of kosher salt warm tied to my head- and it is helping!!! THANK YOU!!!!!blowing kisses

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sometimes I get like that when my allergies are really acting up. Take some benadryl. Hope you feel better!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I've read Honey is a good sore throat soother, dark chocolate kisses for coughs.

Gargle with warm salt water is great for a sore throat too.....and swallow just a little at a time does not hurt you either and may help.

Go to the John Tesh radio show sight...he has alot of health tips on there! I listen to him at night.

www.tesh.com honestly. The dark chocolate, helped me with coughing last time I had bronchitis......though a trip to the doc I got on antibiotics, something in the chocolate helps.

Childrens ear drop may help soothe your ear also, they have calming meds in it. Ive been known to use that. If you feel dizy use dramamine, just do NOT use Walgreens brand or any other brand of motion sickness meds with a strong prescript. pain killer. ....check with your pharmacist about drug interactions with your prescription meds and taking over ther counter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2009