soo i want to start running..

i was thinking about starting to run, especially because i've been gaining a lot of weight lately. how long should i run for(half hour, 1 hour, 2 hrs..)? and how often? will i lose weight fast this way? obviously i have to change my eating habits too. and how much weight can i lose in lets say a month?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I lost 15lbs by running; it took me about three months.

Start small. It will be difficult at first and you will probably hate it. I hated it for the first 4 weeks until I got better at it. Start out with two miles. Run as much as you can and walk only when needed; try running for two minutes and walking for one minute, alternating this pattern. Remember that it will take a few weeks for you to develop your breathing and stride.

Aim to run for 30 minutes at a time.

I know that I started out with 2 miles. It was tough and took awhile before I could run without stopping for breaks. Then I tried 2.5, then 3, then 3.5. I ran five days per week, running 2 days and then resting, then running three days before resting. (Of course, if you have shin splints or knee pain, take a day break from running, but be sure to do another activity like walking or climbing stairs).

(cont)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• As you increase your distance and endurance, change up your routine a bit. For example, I now run about 4-5 days per week. Three of those days I run 4 miles, one of those days I run 5 miles, and on the last day I run 7-8 miles. Changing up your distance challenges your metabolism and prevents you from plateau-ing.

From my experience, once you can run two miles, it becomes increasingly easy to run more. Don't give up!

Running is one of the best exercises you can do. It works all the muscles in your body and is a great cardio workout. When I was running to lose weight (I also had a restricted diet of three meals and no desserts/snacking), I lost a pound per week.

Runners have special food needs. Be sure to eat plenty of protein and fresh produce. Eggs in the morning are great. And eat some carbs at night, as they provide energy for your next workout.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• check out runnersworld.com
    determind

Answer by determind at 11:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Check out this site. It is called Couch-to-5K. I started it 2 weeks ago and I'm LOVING it! I never used to like running but I actually look forward to it now! It trains you to run a 5K (3.2 miles) in about 2 months. I highly recommend it :)
    audreybreier

Answer by audreybreier at 3:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009