• In the Spotlight:

Any Advice?

my husbands 14 year old nephew is is here from another state staying with hubbys mom whos house is right behind ours. We have a big swimming pool between the two houses and my kids are not allowed in it while we are gone (for safety reasons) So why is it that it is ok for him to swim in it when were gone. mother n law is home but she watches her soaps all day. When me or the kids say something to hubby he gets all snotty taking up for his nephew. I dont want to talk bad about his nephew but its not fair to my kids. I make the payments on it and I should have a say in the matter but it just starts drama. I'll be so glad when his 2 weeks are up and he goes home. Any advice?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 11:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• the reason your husband doesn't wanna deal with it is he doesn't want to bother your MIL and he thinks a 14 yr old is old enough to take care of himself and thinks you are nagging when you aren't really nagging if you have to talk to your MIL about it but my guess your husband is prolly a mommies boy lke some of have
    Anonymous

• I think rules are rules no matter what...I know I wouldn't like that especially if my kids go by the rules and then they see somebody else doesn't and that is just not fair. What explanation is there to give them? Yall can't but he can? I don't think so. Your house, your rules!
    Anonymous

• anon11:19 my kids are 16,12,11 and 4 so his age has nothing to do with it
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You need to set the rules down. It's your property and if anything should happen to the child on your property it's your fault even if you weren't home. It's a liability you don't need.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I like the saying pick your battles wisely. I think it is not that big of a deal. He will be gone soon but the world does not revolve around your kids and their feelings.
    Anonymous

• Ok Anon at 11:54 what happens if the 14 yr old does something stupid and drowns?? It's their fault because it's their pool.. I feel he should have to follow the rules just like your kids when he is using your pool. If my DH wouldn't say something to his mom I would..

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• that really doesn't seem fair and it sounds like you have a husband like mine who isn't agressive or rather assertive enough to say anything. i don't know what you want us to say if it were me i would as my husband and if he didn't do my assertive butt would get over and say what he heck is up. either my kids can swim too or he can't. fair is fair. no double standard especially if your paying for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• IMO, the # 1 problem here is safety. I assume that your MIL is inside while the nephew swims. Swimming alone is very dangerous! There is no telling what could happen! It's unsafe whether you're 2 or 102!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009