Right or Wrong?

I was just reading on CNN that a number of airlines are charging their bigger passengers to pay more for spilling into the next seat. Is this right? I don't think it is at ALL. I think it is another way the greedy airlines charge more money. Like they are now doing by charging for checking baggage and for meals. I just think it is so ridiculous!

BTW I am not being biased, as I am 5'8 and 115 lbs, and have been sandwiched by two bigger passengers in the past and have been super uncomfortable. BUT I think it is the airlines responsibility to accommodate its customers and if that means making bigger seats then do it!!!! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• fully 100% agree with you! if they wanna start that then next time i go on a plane with my daughter im only gonna pay half of her ticket, considering she only takes up half a seat! goes both ways!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You were just reading this? Wow, this decision was made years and years ago.
    Anonymous

• RE: 10:24pm
    The article I read was just written 2 days ago. You can check it out on

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/06/26/obese.passengers.airlines/index.html

****OP Here****
    Anonymous

• I'm not a "large" woman by any means, but I am plus sized, and even I think it's ABSOLUTELY FAIR to charge people who are taking up TWO seats for TWO SEATS. Pay for what you use!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree with Baismom. I went to the movies and specifically this theatre because the seating was comfortable. I made the mistake of going on a Saturday night and this very large man sat next to me and actually asked me to remove my drink from the armrest because he was a "big guy". It was so gross having his big belly rubbing up against my hip and thigh. Not the mention the condensation from my soda wet my inner thighs for 2 hours, yeah, I think they should pay for two.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I think the policy goes in and out of use, that's why it was in a current article, but weight loss boards have been discussing this for years. I really think they should only charge more if the seat next to the large passenger can't be sold. As for a small child using up only half a seat, you would have to sit next to another parent w/a small one and have the two children share to make that argument.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i think it is fair to pay fo 2 seats cause you know if u got to take that much space then u pay fo what u have to pay if not dont travel
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think the airlines should accommodate the larger sized passengers:
    1) Install larger sized seats and charge extra for them;
    2) Do not sit a person in the seat next to a larger sized person if they are being charged for 2 seats (the seat they are in and the seat next to them).

On the same note, how are airlines to determine the borderline between oversized passengers and average sized passengers? Is there going to be a tester seat at the ticket counter for them to sit in and show their size? Will they have to stand on a scale? Will a tape measure be wrapped around their abdomen for a size chart? Come on, it shouldn't be up to the discretion of some toothpick skinny ticket seller or airline greeter to make the determination on looks alone. If they wait until the passenger buys their ticket and sits on the plane to determine it, then how can they charge them when there is someone in the seat next to them?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2009