Tell Me About Your Belief and How You Came To Believe it.

I like to hear other people's stories about their beliefs and how they came to believe what they do.

I'd like to hear about your specific belief and a little about its history (where it originated from), what "holy" or belief based books go alone with it and how you came about to believe it? Who are your dieties? Did you choose them or did they choose you? How did you know that your belief was right for you? What in your life confirms for you that your belief/diety is real?

I am especially interested in the Pagan beliefs because some of the gods/goddesses I've heard mentioned here I've never heard of before. I like to think of myself as knowing a little bit about every belief but I haven't scratched the surface of Paganism.

This question is open to anyone of any belief. I'd love to hear anyone share their story and help me learn more.

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anon, lets assume that the motives are pure.
    OP- here is my story. I am a born again Christian. I'll explane that more as my story unfolds. I had been raised in a particular church, but when we moved there was no church of that particular denomination in the area and my parents did not want to attend a different one. So after the age of 10 there really wasn't a religious influence in my life. I was the kid that was always picked on in school so I grew up, lonely, insecure and eventually depressed. I felt unloved and unlovable. By the time I was about 15 I had become borderline suicidal. I had a grandmother who was deeply religious and she urged all of us grands to attend church. One Sunday, partly wanted to please her and partly out of hope that it might help, I went...cont
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• oops! what books go *ALONG with it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Why, so you can use the information as a weapon against them in "debates"?
    Anonymous

• no anon. because she likes to be informed. ....ugh.

As a child my mom was not very religious. She studied JW for a long time. And that is when i first heard of Pagan. But i honestly had no idea what it was. I was too young to understand or care about such things. ...When i turned about 7 years old mom stopped studying with them (because they asked her to convert) but i found that i really missed the individual lessons they were giving us. So i read a book called "My First Book of Bible Stories" ...or something like that. ...I was so proud of myself for reading it alone, but it was at that time that I realized I did not believe in the bible.

As a pre-adolecent i started to explore other options. I went to different churches with friends. Nothing seemed right. Eventually a different friend of mine lent me the book "To Stir a Magick Cauldrin" and although the ideas were new to me, it felt like i had thought that way (con)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I found the church to be loving and nurturing. The adults were genuinly interested in me. Within a month I was asking questions. These were answered from the Bible. One Sunday the pastor preached about the cross. I was struck with God's love, that even though He knew all about me, that I was the one who had done wrong, He would still die on the cross to save me. So I went to the front and asked God to forgive me and give me new life. That is what the term born again means. Our old nature with its tendancy to sin is reborn into new life. That was 30 years ago, March 11,1979. I believe God not only saved my soul but very likely my physical life.
    If there is anything else you want to know about my walk with Christ, feel free to ask.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my whole life. This is when i was about ...11 or 12. Anyways. My friend and i grew apart but i continued to study Wicca on my own. It was at that time i found out my older brother (7yrs older) was also following this path. Although he did not help me much, he told me to not forget about what i know is real, and what i know is fake. This is probably the best advice a person just learning about Wicca and other magick can get.
    When I was 14 i met a friend who seemed interested in Wicca and asked me to teach her. Although this was out of my comfort zone, i did agree to teach her what i knew. Her and I learned together. It was shortly after then that i decided a personal dedication and solitary initiation would be appropriate. I did it on a whim. ...
    Later in high school my friend went back to Christianity. Her and i are still good friends.
    Now that i am even older then my high school days (not much older. lol) (cont)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have come to realize that Wicca does not entirely sum up what i believe. I take many different things from different branches of Wicca, and also much from Asatru (who follow the Norse Gods, but is different then Wicca) So, the term Eclectic Pagan is used. and we found each other.
    I have no holy book. I make my own Book of Shadows. Which basically consists of what i believe along with my personal magick rites and rituals, spells, ect ect.

My faith has helped me through a lot. And is helping me now with the recent passing of my mom. She claimed to be athiest only a few short weeks before her sudden death. ...I have nothing personal against athiests, but it saddened my heart that my mom felt there was no faith to be found in any thing. I seek comfort and strength from my faith, the same way that any Christian or anyone else would do. This is part of what confirms my beliefs.

You can always PM if you want to learn more
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

----------------
    OBVIOUSLY someone who has never seen me post before. I am a Universal Electionist, I could care less about changing someone's mind about what they believe. God is sovereign, he makes no mistakes. If he hasn't called someone to himself, that is his business, not mine.

Thanks outstandinglove and teamquinn :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was raised as a JW. My mother, her sisters and mother are all JW. My grandfather and his side of the family were all very strict Roman Catholic. As a small child (as far back as I remember) I was able to see things that others couldn't. Spirits if you will. I could hear them speak to me as well. I was told that these were demons I was seeing and they were doing Satan's work. Or that I was evil. I could never find any truth to this, and never believed it. I was raised with a bible study every night, church 3 times a week and morning scriptures. But just never found truth in any of it, I felt no comfort and never felt happy on that path.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009