Custody

well my boyfriend thinks he is going to take our daughter from me (we r both 16) but in scared he will take her ...who has more rights father or mother..wht should i do??

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 11:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Technically, it's supposed to be an even playing field, but realistically, they usually side with the mother unless the father can prove she is unfit.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Like Peite said.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree with the other Mums. Also the family of the parents will be a deciding factor too. What role do the Grandparents play in the baby's life where and who does the baby live with? Being 16 you both are still considered minors. Who is taking financial responsibility for the mother and baby? Does the father pay anything for the child? There are so many different things that figure into custody. Keep in mind that all most all teenage fathers say they are going to get custody of the baby, then do nothing. If he does try and the baby is well cared for and thriving and healthy and in a loving and clean environment you really don't have anything to worry about. Just love and take good care of your little one and all shall be well.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 8:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It has nothing to do with sex of the parent, only who is in the best position to provide for the child (physically, emotionally, materially, etc.). If both parents can provide for all the childs needs then custody will usually be shared, even if one parent has more time with the child. I don't agree that the mother is shown prefence, the person who has physical custody (even if you have filed for custody, if your child lives with you, you have physical custody by matter of fact). The person the child lives with is the person that is given preference. Usually, that is the mother, which is why mom's are often prefered. I would file for custody even if your child lives with you, before the father does, if he hasn't already. If there is no custody order and he visits with your child there isn't any guide to say when he has to bring her back. Good luck.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• MOTHER! Unless you are a crack head and he can prove it...he is screwd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• BubbaLuva, I would agree that the system is becoming more like that, BUT, in many states, the ideal is not what is happening. I know this from experience. Alot depends on the state, I know in IL, IN, and many of the northern states they do alot of investigating to determine where the child should live. But many other states still favor the mother regardless of where the child resides at the time.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009