NEED HELP ASAP I'M IN PAIN!!!

so I have been getting my wisdom teeth in for the past year and I just got insurance because I am 7 months pregnant.. the top wisdom teeth are infected and the left side is causing me unbearable pain, I can barely eat anything and i have to drink out of a straw.. is there anything I can take (besides pain meds or oragel) or can I get them removed being this pregnant.. I don't think I can wait until after I have her....

SweetPea102689

Asked by SweetPea102689 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Health

• I would call my Doctor and tell them whats going on. Im sure they will either give you antibiotics for the infection or have them taken out, because the infection will make you very very sick
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Definately call your doc. Infections in teeth can cause problems, so it is important that they take care of this.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I JUST went through this about 3 weeks ago. I went to both my doctor, dentist and an oral surgeon. Here's the deal...they will remove it if you really want it out, but not if it's really impacted. My bottom one got infected too. My doctor gave me antibiotics and even vicodin because I was in so much pain. I researched it and even asked the pharmacist and when taken as directed, it's totally safe during pregnancy. Once the antibiotics kicked in, the swelling and pain were gone. I got a note from my doctor planning on getting the tooth removed, but you're only allowed to have local anasthetic when pregnant. The oral surgeon wouldn't do it under local because he said it was way too impacted. He said if it had been erupted through the gum, he could have done it under local, but that an impacted tooth is way too horrible to remove while the patient is awake. I'm telling you, go to your OBGYN and tell him...to be cont...
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• call the doc asap...

also...infection can affect your heart and the baby...please take that part super seriously...

You may be able to gargle with salt water or hydrogen peroxide...and if you have tea tree oil...you can apply it directly to the infected area.

Please be well.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• cont....

If, in fact, it is infected, which it really sounds like yours is, he will want you on antibiotics because not only can infection potentially harm a fetus, but so can the stress of you being in pain. I'm getting mine removed two months after I give birth. The oral surgeon said it will be fine to wait until them, and that if it gets bad again, to take pain meds and antibiotics again. He gave me some irrigation thing to clean the tooth, and since then it's been fine. I hope you feel better soon...I know how painful it is. I was in tears!!! In the meantime, try gargling with salt water and applying ice to the outside of your cheek where the pain is. Good luck, babe!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• clove oil and vanillia extract. clove oil is amazing! try it, but go to the dentist asap the clove oil and vanillia extract are just good temp. fixes until you can get things taken care of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• NO about the clove oi or vanilla. . I had a similar situation as you..It was the weekend and I was extremely pregnant and in a lot of pain with a tooth abscess. IT DID NOTHING. I finally saw my dentist, who consulted with my OB and got a prescription for an antibiotic and some painkillers. If it is an infection, all the clove oil in the world will not help!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• so I called my dr and after playing games of waiting to be called back then put on hold three times she gave me the number for the dental clinic and said I had to call them.. after calling them 4 times and then being put on hold for 20 mins then hanging up and calling back they said they couldn't do anything without talking to my dr (who is right across the damn hall they could yell across to one another) so I have tp wait til 3:30 tomorrow afternoon when I have my drs app then I got to the dentist wed @ 8:30 in the morning.. these people are crazy!!!
    SweetPea102689

Answer by SweetPea102689 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009